Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesDancing · 10 years ago

BFA in dance, and my future?

sooo i need some advice for my future as a dancer. v.najinsky or janine, if you are reading this i would value your opinions.

i'm currently planning on going to a college where i will get a bfa in dance and choreography. i'm 18. i've studied ballet since i was young and for the past few years i've been studying at a professional school. i have a solid base of ballet but i'm not professional ballet dancer material, my body is also more of a modern physique. i've studied modern since around 8, i love it, and my college program will be a modern focus. the ballet won't be as strong but i will have the opportunity to study at a professional school outside of my college program. i hope to become stronger with my modern skills at school. i've always danced around the house to music and choreographed, and at college i will be able to study choreography. as background i also have experience in theatre and circus.

sooo what kind of job market do you see open to someone with my set of skills, and with what i will acquire during school.. not many become professional modern dancers out of the program i will go into. but i would like to dance, perform in some means, before i teach or choreograph etc. so if i go to summer programs like paul taylor's for modern experience... keep up the singing skills... and start going to auditions for modern companies to see how i fit... would this be realistic?

• Lv 7
    Favorite Answer

Without seeing you dance, there is no real way of knowing what you can do. My eye has always been on performance and nothing else (perhaps choreography too.) I am not as up on other options that Janine might know. I do know that to get into a contemporary company, it helps to do their workshops and every workshop that comes along. I don't know where you live, but in NYC they are one after another. Most of the concert contemporary dancers I know got work that way or they were seen while dancing at Juilliard or NYU Tisch. (I do live in NYC you know, so these are the people I know.)

I have done the Paul Taylor program. It is free for LaGuardia students because it is held at the school. It was a nice program, not great. You should look for newer cutting edge companies that don't have such a name yet. Check out workshops by Nathan Trice or Sidra Bell. Perhaps some regional modern company would be just the thing for you and would give you a chance to choreograph. Watch contemporary performances by the hottest new dance companies and you will see where things are trending.

Check out Aszure Barton, Gallim dance, Sidra Bell and Brian Brooks. Don't forget other companies like Doug Varone, Trisha Brown, Lucinda Childs and Larry Kegwin. There is so much out there.

Many modern companies don't hold auditions. They watch you doing their workshop and then ask you to take company class. So, look to do these along with auditions.

During the summer, you should do some modern/contemporary intensives like Paul Taylor, Parsons or Ailey. NYU Tisch has a non audition based SI that you take along with the BFA students there. (They would be in a different level.) You would get to work with top dance companies and choreographers like Bill T. Jones, Larry kegwin, Doug Varone and other top choreographers.

Bottom line, only about 10% of well trained dancers get work.

@ charlessmith- that is the most clueless and incorrect information I have seen posted in dance since I have been on this site. Where in the world did you get this wacky information from? Teaching at Juilliard? are you serious??? Ballet dancers "62% with BFAs" instead of going right into a company after High School? That is sooo incorrect my jaw dropped when I read that!

Source(s): Academy trained ballet dancer (NYC.) Grad of LaGuardia Arts (the Fame School), Attending NYU Tisch next fall (if I don't take a job I was offered dancing over seas)
  • Let me tell you that you should get your BFA in dance. Most dance teaching jobs---62 percent of them...now require that you get a degree in dance. Especially in ballet.

You can audition for "America's Got Talent" and "So You Think You Can Dance" because I think you got the total package to succeed in both auditions when it comes to dancing. But, I am thinking that you should wait until you get your BFA degree to get that.

After you get your BFA, you will have a sufficient resume for dance teaching and dance choreography. I strongly suggest that you apply to be a dance teacher for the Julliard School (extremely competitive) or the Debbie Allen Dance School in California (better for you). This is because being only a dance performer will only get you far but without a backup job, like teaching dance you will lose a lot of money if you have to leave a dance company as a professional dancer after a successful audition.

So, with this, with your strong ballet and modern dance background, apply for teaching jobs for ballet or modern dance...but I also think that you can also apply to dance with professional companies that require solid ballet/modern backgrounds. Find the best dance companies, stick to them, and you will have a very good dance career.....