In Shrek forever After, what does the goose represent?

Is the goose but a companion to creepy Rumple, an analogous charater meant to add freakishness to an already freakish antagonist, or does it represent somethign deeper , like perhaps the global economy meltdown in 2008, with Rumple being all administrations, until finaly the goose destructs after becoming grossly inflated. Or maybe its Mother Gosse.

Either way, I still can't sleep because of it.

Update:

At one point, Rumple actually had his wig styled to look like the goose, red ribbon and all.

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Claiming that the demented goose is nothing more than a funny side character is a little dissatisfying, though I do think it's a bit of a stretch to claim that it represents an inflated economy. Your guess is as good as mine, though. I'm a big proponent of reading into movies when you find something interesting or provocative (even when it's an animated kid's movie). When I first saw the creature, it did bring to mind a demented Mother Goose figure. That reading makes sense--the film is so entertaining because it puts a comical spin on all kinds of familiar fairy tales. It is a little disturbing to portray Mother Goose in that way, though...it's a very grotesque-looking goose with its pointy fangs and beady eyes. Very funny, though. I laughed every time it honked.

• Login to reply the answers
  • renye
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Shrek Rumple

• Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.