In Shrek forever After, what does the goose represent?

Is the goose but a companion to creepy Rumple, an analogous charater meant to add freakishness to an already freakish antagonist, or does it represent somethign deeper , like perhaps the global economy meltdown in 2008, with Rumple being all administrations, until finaly the goose destructs after becoming grossly inflated. Or maybe its Mother Gosse.

Either way, I still can't sleep because of it.

At one point, Rumple actually had his wig styled to look like the goose, red ribbon and all.

Favorite Answer

Claiming that the demented goose is nothing more than a funny side character is a little dissatisfying, though I do think it's a bit of a stretch to claim that it represents an inflated economy. Your guess is as good as mine, though. I'm a big proponent of reading into movies when you find something interesting or provocative (even when it's an animated kid's movie). When I first saw the creature, it did bring to mind a demented Mother Goose figure. That reading makes sense--the film is so entertaining because it puts a comical spin on all kinds of familiar fairy tales. It is a little disturbing to portray Mother Goose in that way, though...it's a very grotesque-looking goose with its pointy fangs and beady eyes. Very funny, though. I laughed every time it honked.

• renye

Shrek Rumple