Why are some transsexual/transgender people ok with being called "tranny"?

Or referring to themselves as "tranny"? OR..assuming OTHER trans people should be ok with being called "tranny"? If you choose to refer to yourself that way, that's one thing, but you shouldn't assume other people want to be referred to that way, even if you happen to be trans... show more Or referring to themselves as "tranny"? OR..assuming OTHER trans people should be ok with being called "tranny"?

If you choose to refer to yourself that way, that's one thing, but you shouldn't assume other people want to be referred to that way, even if you happen to be trans yourself. At least that's my opinion.
Update: I don't like the reference of "well black people call each other the N word and gay men call each other the F word" either. Because even within a group of like individuals there may be personal perferences, and different levels of what people find offensive. For example, if a black person called Obama... show more I don't like the reference of "well black people call each other the N word and gay men call each other the F word" either. Because even within a group of like individuals there may be personal perferences, and different levels of what people find offensive. For example, if a black person called Obama the "N" word, do you think Obama might find that offensive? What about other black people thinking the black person that called Obama the "N" word? Do you think they'd find it offensive? Just because people are alike within a group, you can't say that the entire group should try to "take back" a derogatory slur, or that all members would be ok with that, or even would do that to another person within their group.
17 answers 17