Thermal absorption and conductivity of moist air.?

The old saying of a cold damp day chills you to the bone, seems true. How does moist or humid air behave? Is this saying true and why. I looked things up on the net and came up with all kinds of technical equations that were very specialized, so much so it would take hours for even a scientific person to get... show more The old saying of a cold damp day chills you to the bone, seems true.

How does moist or humid air behave? Is this saying true and why. I looked things up on the net and came up with all kinds of technical equations that were very specialized, so much so it would take hours for even a scientific person to get a grasp on it. So please help.

My ideas are that the solution to this saying is two part.
First the thermal conductivity of the moist air vs dry?
Second, can the moist air absorb more heat without raising in temperature as quickly as dry air?

The question is complex unless you are in the field, but with the cold damp weather today here in LA it sure feels like the old saying is true.
Thanks in advance
Chilled to the bone,
JC