Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 1 decade ago

Is it considered Child Endangerment to smoke marijuana around kids?

My baby mama allows her live-in boyfriend to watch my 3-yr old while she is at work. He admitting to smoking pot but he says he "doesn't smoke in the same room the kids are in". I don't believe him, but, isn't that considered child endangerment? I'm in Ohio.


Wow. Thanks to everyone! Yesterday I confronted her and she just got mad. I have offered to pay for daycare or even private school! The proof I have is a recording and a IM conversation. I reported to CPS a month ago about my suspicion, but didn't have proof then. If I would call the cops would they even look into it?

8 Answers

  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    Personally, I have zero respect or tolerance for drug users including potheads. It may or may not be child endangerment, but If I had a child, it wouldn't be left with them until the live in bf - was history.

    They all claim pot isn't addicting or that it doesn't do anything harmful. So if that's the case - why do they smoke it when kids are in the house at all?? Are they just stupid, insensitive, or uncaring? If it's lack of willpower, that would tell me the whole not-addictive argument is BS. Either way - these arn't the types of people I would want watching my kids. Even if they didn't toke up in front of the kids! Ya know?

  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

    Being an ex-smoker, I didn't smoke around my children. Mostly because I didn't want them to think that smoking was an acceptable thing to do. There are many factors that would constitute endangerment from second hand smoke. Smoking in a smaller confined space as compared to open areas can make a big difference in the health risk for children. Number of cigarettes smoked can also make a difference. But I think the most danger comes from setting the example that smoking is normal and an okay thing to do.

  • 1 decade ago

    I think you need to confront your ex and let her know how you feel. If that doesn't work then maybe pursue it with CPS. But you also need to pay attention to your child and how they act around the b/f.

    Pot is considered illegal, but there are a lot of people who smoke it and are the best parents ever. You are the parent and if that is something that you don't want your child exposed to then do something. Not on either side, but he came out and told you about it.

    If you feel the mother is not competent enough to make that decision and discuss your feelings, then maybe you should offer to pay the daycare cost. I am guessing the b/f is watching your child for her so that she can have more money in her pocket.

    How do you really feel about the b/f being the daycare provider, she is doing something to help her and your baby by free daycare. I think this is something you should sit down with the mother and really discuss your thoughts. If you two don't get a long, put it in writing so that you have proof that you have expressed your concern about the situation. Let her write you back so that it is in writing so that way if you decide pursue it you will have proof to pursue it. Good Luck!

  • 1 decade ago

    Yes thats considered child endangerment. In most states even having the drugs in the same house as a child (but not even doing the drugs when the children are there or doing the drugs there at all) is considered endangerment.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • ?
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

    Call Child Protective Services. Being high is not a good way to be when babysitting. I would assume it would be child endangerment to do so since smoking weed is illegal. If it were my kids, I'd report them both right away.

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    As far as the child is concerned, the situation is EXACTLY like drinking a "Bud Lite" and smoking a "Winston".

    You can figure it out from there.

  • 1 decade ago

    I'd be calling child services!

    I would NOT want anyone under the influence of ANYTHING while watching my children!

  • 1 decade ago

    Yes from toxins and being stones while you watch kids

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.