?
Lv 5
? asked in Education & ReferenceSpecial Education · 10 years ago

books that talk about Asperger Syndrome?

books that talk about Asperger Syndrome?

storys about people with Asperger syndrom?

and autism!

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago
    Best Answer

Asperger Syndrome - Tony Attwood

Look Me in the Eye - John Edward Robison

Pretending to be Normal - Liane Holliday-Willey

I just finished writing my memoir about coping with Asperger's in the Coast Guard not being able to tell anyone. I'm trying to find a publisher.

Source(s): It's a really hot topic right now.
  • John
    Lv 5
    10 years ago

Asperger's Syndrome: A Guide for Parents and Professionals,

A Parent's Guide to Asperger Syndrome and High-Functioning Autism: How to Meet the Challenges and Help Your Child Thrive,

The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome,Can I Tell You About Asperger Syndrome?: A Guide for Friends and Family,

Parenting a Child With Asperger Syndrome: 200 Tips and Strategies,

The Asperger Parent: How to Raise a Child with Asperger Syndrome and Maintain Your Sense of Humor

School Success for Kids With Asperger's Syndrome: A Practical Guide for Parents and Teachers,

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

Not books that talk about it but books about a person. Try reading House Rules by Jodi Picoult. It's fiction but illustrates the collision between the law and such a misunderstand disability. Many books out there give a lot of basic facts about the disorder, but a few talk about the meaning of growing up with it from early childhood to mid adulthood. I would not suggest Look Me in the Eye by John Elder Robinson, if you have a pretty good understanding of Asperger's. The best books to read are those by anyone in their late teens to early thirties. Adults older than that grew up in a generation where Asperger Syndrome was virtually unheard of. Anyone younger than about 15 is a little more fortunate, because a lot more information and support is available now than it was ten years ago. Try reading novels where information and appropriate support for their condition was not available until they were adolescents. They offer the best depicitons of isolation and separation from their peers. It really wouldn't matter to a 42-year-old as they've accepted themselves a long time ago.

• 10 years ago

Some really good answers here. If you are still looking for information this August, I anticipate my book, "Wait, What Do You Mean?" Asperger's Tell and Show, to be released at that time. The book is all about AS adults, many of whom have never been identified as such. The chapters include, "What Is It?" "What Causes It?" "Looking Forward," and "Aspies Speak."

I hope you find what you are looking for. Martha Schmidtmann Dunne

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Eva
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

The scientific 'bible' I use is "Asperger Syndrome: Natural Steps toward a Better Life" by Suzanne C. Lawton, N.D. And I've just written an autobiography and sequel that fit the bill of the second part of your question - "Dafydd Bach: Death of Innocence (My Life of Autism and Asperger's Syndrome: Dafydd Tomos, Hyswain)" and "Dafydd Bach: Death of Innocence: The Sequel (My Life of Autism and Asperger's Syndrome: Dafydd Tomos, Hyswain) " by David Adrian Thomas, Esq.(Dafydd Tomos, Hyswain, is me, in Welsh, my home language, but don't worry, that all the Welsh you'll see in my books as I do not speak or write as fluently in Welsh as I do in English) If you click on my Yahoo!Answers avatar to the top left of this message, my Yahoo!Answers profile webpage will pop up, and if you click on the words 'About me', a drop down explanation about me and my books will appear that you can read in under five minutes as an introduction to my books, Including how you can free loans of them from Amazon Kindle, who is my publisher. If you then care to scan down the list below that section 'About me', of Yahoo!Answers questions I have submitted answers to, and click on any that you are interested in, you could very well find my views on biological, psychological, and genetic aspects of asperger syndrome that might be enough to give you a good idea of the nuts and bolts of the condition. Before you get into the heavy stuff, of which there is a mountain out there in the wide, wide world for you read, in every language under the sun, because it is approaching epidemic proportions everywhere, as much because its fashionable as because its a reality in people's lives. Finally, you will also find that I have persistently found it necessary to draw questioners attention to the 'politics' of psychiatry in the USA, and what the AMA will be doing with the label Asperger's Syndrome and its diagnostic characteristics this coming May. They intend annihilating the condition off the face of the USA by omitting it from the proposed new version of their diagnostic 'bible', the AMA DSM (see URL of a newspaper/magazine article about it below). Happy hunting Namaste DAT Esq 19:28 GMT 23 April 2103

• Andi C
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

"Freaks, Geeks and Asperger syndrome." "Emergence; Labelled Autistic" "Thinking in Pictures" "Like Colour to the Blind" "Autism; An Inside Out Approach" "Nobody Nowhere" "Somebody Somewhere" to name just a few.

Lv 6
    10 years ago

The curious incident of the dog in the night it wrote like it was wrote by a boy with aspergers. It's a brilliant book it's a good read.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

I'd like to add The Out of Sync Child by Carol Kranowitz . It's about sensory integration problems, which are common in autism. It's very helpful and informative.

• 10 years ago

the curious incident of the dog in the night time. Thats about a boy with aspergers.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.