Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDental · 10 years ago

Severe pain after root canal, is there ANYTHING I can do about this?

I just can't handle this pain anymore, after 5 days of constant, literally non-stop severe toothache I had to get a root canal today. Contrary to what I've read online, it has not relieved the pain, and I have severe pain throughout the right side of my gums, all up the side of my face, and a severe headache. My dentist wouldn't give me anything, just said take Advil. I've been taking that for days on end every 5 hours or so, it doesn't do a thing, even with Tylenol.

The root canal isn't even finished. He said 90% of it is finished, but I have to go in next week to get it finished. I can't handle this pain until then.

Is there ANYTHING I can do about this? I've considered going to the hospital to get antibiotics or some sort of stronger pain reliever, should I do that? I can't sleep and can barely eat.

Thank you for the information so far. Joyce, I'm honestly telling the truth, he didn't provide me with any antibiotics or pain killers, despite the fact that it was quite a severe infection. I did ask them, they said take a Advil and Tylenol combination, which doesn't do much for me. I've used this dentist for a while and they seem quite professional, but I'm guessing very lax on giving out antibiotics.

Favorite Answer

I spent ten years assisting an endodontist (root canal specialist) and can tell you that, while some people may be lucky enough not to have pain after a root canal, it is very common for others to be in the kind of excruciating pain you're describing. It can last days for some people, weeks for others (although after the first 7-10 days you should notice a definite reduction in pain). Don't worry about bob b's statement - most root canals are done in two visits (to keep pain low and avoid infection) and it is not true that they leave nerves "exposed" in between; the nerves are removed within the first few minutes at the initial appointment, and a sterile barrier dressing is placed. What you are feeling is not nerve pain, it is trauma pain in the surrounding live tissue - bone, ligaments, and gum tissue (often worse than nerve pain itself!)!

First off: How much advil are you taking? If you're only taking 200 to 400mg (one or two tablets) at a time, it's not going to work. Granted, that's the over-the-counter bottle dosage, but it's rarely an effective one. The "gold standard" for treating tooth pain is to take MINIMUM of 600mg (3 over the counter tablets) at one time, no less than every 4 hours around the clock for 7 days after root canal. If 600mg is not effective, 800mg (4 of the over the counter tablets) can be used. These are incredibly safe, prescription strength dosages used by almost every root canal specialist in the U.S.; many will give you a prescription for the higher doses (you can get Advil pills that are 600 or 800mg each behind the pharmacy counter). In fact, the prescription dose goes up to 1000mg every four hours (5 tablets!!) although this is rarely recommended anymore; the safer doses are 600mg or 800mg. Check with your dentist or pharmacist if you're unsure you can take a higher dose of advil, but if you're already able to take one or two tablets, you should be fine with a higher dose. It's fine to take up to 1000mg of Tylenol with it as well.

Also, I can't emphasize this enough: ICE, ICE, ICE! Keep ice on the outside of your face as much as you can. Use a bag full of ice cubes, an ice pack, whatever - just keep the area outside the tooth cold. After a few hours, you will notice a huge reduction in pain. This will also speed healing, and help reduce the duration of the post-op pain.

Another great thing to know after root canal is NEVER lay down flat after a root canal! This rule should be followed for as long as you still have any discomfort - whenever you lay down (even to sleep) keep your head as high above heart level as possible - elevate it on two, three, or even four pillows if you can. This is because the blood will rush to the affected tooth if your head is laid flat (at heart level) and will cause intense throbbing and pain.

Sometimes, root canal teeth build up an excess of "pressure" inside the canals. This can happen due to an extensive infection, or due to hyperemic canals (excess bleeding) or other factors. When your dentist does a root canal, he/she places a filling into the canals that doesn't allow the pressure to escape. It can become intensely painful, sometimes even causing swelling. It isn't dangerous, as the body will take care of the drainage and/or pressure on its own eventually, but the symptoms can be simply unbearable for some!! This may be the case with you, and if it is, any good root canal specialist (or dentist) will want to know. There are things your dentist can do to alleviate the pain and pressure - it's very typical for someone who is in between the start and finish appointments to need to have a "change of dressing" which is where they open the tooth and clean it out once again, allowing the pressure to subside, sometimes even leaving the tooth open to drain overnight or over a few days. This pain and pressure can also be alleviated by antibiotics (if the pain is due to the drainage of an infection) although don't expect antibiotics to work right away - they take a good 48-72 hours to give any pain relief.

If none of the above recommendations are working for you, you need to call your dentist. Any dentist worth his salt will want you to come back in, at least for a checkup, and possibly to change the dressing, check for swelling, and prescribe antibiotics that may now be necessary. If you call, saying you're in massive amounts of pain not controlled by OTC meds, and your dentist does not ask you to come back in, does not prescribe any painkillers or antibiotics, and/or insists on telling you to wait it out, then he/she is either highly unskilled and not at all knowledgeable about the root canal process (in which case I'd try to have it finished by someone else - namely an endodontist) or he/she is simply lazy (another good reason to find a new dentist). Any good dentist will want a post-root canal patient to come in ASAP if they are having uncontrollable pain, or will at least call in antibiotics and pain meds. It's important to monitor root canal patients for signs of infection and excess pressure. Don't let the receptionist or assistant give you final advice when you call; you have the right to insist on a checkup appointment or to speak directly to the doctor. Dentists typically WANT to speak to or check on patients in pain, because failing to do so can result in a lawsuit.

I don't recommend going to the hospital, unless your dentist refuses to treat your pain; hospitals can be largely incompetent when it comes to dental issues, and I've seen a lot of mis-prescribing going on there. But if your dentist won't help you, it may be necessary as a last resort.

Also, if you do end up with a prescription for pain meds - Ultram, Vicodin, Darvocet, or Percocet - it's fine to take Advil at the higher doses along with it; in fact, it will probably be necessary (narcotic pain meds aren't actually terribly effective for tooth pain).

Good luck; feel better!

Source(s): Dental Assistant, endodontics (root canals) for over 10 years
    • Van3 years agoReport

The lying flat in bed also was what I have been doing, and when I follwed your advise of not lying flat, I felt an ease. This is soooo much of a help! Cant thank you enough!

• ulmer

Pain After Root Canal

1

2

It's hard to believe your dentist did not give you anything to take for pain and also an antibiotic. I just had extensive dental work done, and mine gave me Vicadin and Penicillin. I did have an extraction, but the pain meds took care of the pain. After the first few hours, I was able to get by with a big dose of Tylenol.

I've had root canals before, but I have never had the severe pain your are describing. I would call that dentist and demand something stronger. I would tell him that if he doesn't write you a scrip for something, that you will go to a hospital ER. It sounds like you may have a problem of some kind or an infection. I'm not sure I would want to wait before having it seen about.

Have you used this dentist for a long time? Do you trust him? Something doesn't sound right with this situation. Call back and insist that he hear you out, or ask to come back in for an emergency visit so he can check your mouth.

P.S. I hope you read this edit. I just read your additional details. I did not mean to sound like I thought you were not telling the truth. I am just shocked that a dentist would allow you to be in this much pain and discomfort without checking out your mouth. To tell you just to take OTC meds without professional intervention such as prescription meds or ideally, a follow-up visit asap, just seems....I don't know, cruel. Good luck. I hope everything works out well for you.

3

Source(s): Immediate Tooth Pain Relief http:/teres.info/ToothPainRelief

I'm going through the same thing right now. Root canal thursday extreme pain still on saturday. doc called in a codeine with acetaminophen rx. woke up with pain took codeine 2.5 hours ago and no relief. icing now and i'll take some ibuprofen soon. i want to wait but I'm going crazy with all this pain. good to know about the lying down.

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/axxie

You need to call the dentist.The tooth itself should not hurt because the nerve and pulp is removed and the canal that held the material is disinfected and filled. Pain that bad is not normal.It can be a little tender for a day or two, but not like what your experiencing. Your may have a infection. My tooth hurt that bad and I thought I could wait a day to see the dentist. Overnight I swelled up to the point I looked like I got punched in the face.

Discover The Secret To Completely Eliminating Your Migraine Pain Forever In The Next 48 Hours & Never Spend Another Dime On Expensive, Dangerous Treatments - http://themigrainerelief.info/naturally-335.html

You'll learn inside:

+) The most common migraine triggers & how to avoid them, so that you can live a pain-free life.

+) Understand the root causes of a migraine headache which helps to prevent migraines forever.

+) The most common food related triggers to help prevent migraines so that you can enjoy eating the foods you like.

+) Get rid of your migraine and cure your headache

+) And much more useful information ...

You can feel good again, no more depression or anxiety. Start feeling good in just a few minutes. Overcome the pain of migraines with 3 simple but effective techniques to stop the migraine before it stops you from having fun.

If you want to take control of my migraines and enjoy a pain-free life! Don't live another day with the pain and tortue of Migraines.

Act Now! - http://themigrainerelief.info/naturally-335.html

You don't have to live another day with pain, discomfort or depression get rid of you're migraine headaches, remember that the problem CAN be prevented, controlled and treated, but ONLY if you take action today.

Source(s): The Migraine Relief System offering you everything you need to relieve, treat and prevent migraines - http://themigrainerelief.info/naturally-335.html

If you intend to eliminate muscles, tendons, bones and nerves anxious power that form up each time when you feel suffering linked to your sciatica then Sciatica SOS is the eBook  that you'll require, a eBook  that you'll find it here https://tr.im/RMVl5 .

Sciatica SOS is a 7-day treatment for sciatica, a nerve condition that afflicts a number of individuals around the globe producing pain from the low back off to the base very nearly rendering them immobile.

That treatment unlike contemporary western medicine comes from a straightforward Nepalese natural mix which has been popularized by Glenn Johnson, the author of the eBook.

Sciatica SOS gives a detailed procedure to follow along with in order to get rid of this menacing condition in the quickest period of time.

Neuropathy has some annoying indicators like numbness or tingling, especially in the feets and hands. There are plenty of varied types of neuropathy but with this specific program Neuropathy Solution from here https://tr.im/zC9i6 you are able to handle most of the symptoms of neuropathy disease.

Neuropathy Solution can help individuals of neuropathy to get rid of all of the symptoms of this condition including : tingling, prickling feeling , numbness of the location round the influenced nerves, sudden pains , sharp as well as using sensation in the nerves.

Dr. Randall Labrum, the author of this excellent information feels you will eliminate most of the outward indications of neuropathy and get rid of this harmful infection permanently.