? asked in Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · 1 decade ago

Why have people put up with life? Whats the point of working to survive? Why doesn't the world commit suicide?

As a student of history, I just can't understand why people put up with life. The world painted by evolutionary psychology is just brutal. Women are just rape slave, toys, and playthings for men to enjoy. But its not much better as a man, since while your sister and daughter might be raped and enslaved, you would just be killed off.

What is the life of man? A brutal struggle of existence against both nature and man. What was the point of the slave and serf, working backbreaking labor 16 hours a day for some brutal lord who rapes his daughters? Can you really say that the serf or factory-worker made the right choice in living such a brutish existence? Why shouldn't he have just committed suicide?

What makes human life so valuable that life is worth preserving for its own sake? Or is it just that we are programmed to survive by our selfish genes? And that our individual happiness means nothing to the gene who "wins" as long as it reproduces.

If I was a religious man, I guess I would be a monk, and just endure the trials of life, till this hell was over. But what kind of God would make a world like this? I would have to be a Gnostic and believe that whomever created this hellish world was not benign.

I realize that things are somewhat better now. But humanity is driven by the same cruel Darwinian biological nature. I mean how do you deal with man, when you know how insanely evil he is?

These thoughts have destroyed my life. I'm practically catatonic. I can't get out of bed or go to school or get a job. I just don't get why any rational being would put up with the hell that is life. What possible pleasure could inspire it? Sexual pleasure? Love for wife or children? Both the vulgar lust and higher "love" are just the selfish gene playing you as a fool.

If after all these centuries, and so much material progress man's ethics remains at the same level, perhaps even declining, then I see no reason that this generation is suddenly going to get it. If anything my generation seems to be the most comfortable with the human condition and rather cynical. So I certainly don't expect some moral amelioration of the human condition to come out of Generation Y. So if we are stuck with the world, cultute, and ethos of the present, what good life can one live other than gouging oneself on biological pleasure?

Maybe I'm too harsh on humanity seeing them as ideas and spirits rather than gene machines. So I wont hate or condemn them anymore than I would a wolf or a hog. But I certainly can't live among them. So whats to become of me?

I don't pleasure in anything biological.

Fun and power don't appeal to me. It is true the dog eat dog ethos is antithetical to my beliefs. But it seems so entrenched and unshakeable that it might as well be objectively true. The only point of life is to be the strongest ape on top of a mountain of skulls.

When I was younger I was more driven by ambition. And the better world I could create was perhaps only a figleaf for naked ambition. But slowly that seed grew until the cause mattered.

Well anyway once I got to see the world as it was, the ideology that underlay it, and the hopelessness of changing it, I fell into deep despair. Life in a world like this is truly pointless and worse than meaningless. None of its joys have any appeal to me. There is no such thing as individualism. Everyone must accept the dominant ideology of the times. Your only deluding yourself if you think your a special unique individual. There is nothing more conformist than individuality.

I don't care about free will. There is nothing glorious about free will. Other than natural disasters every act of evil comes from supposed free will. It makes no difference whether actions are determined by genes. The problem is what actions are determined. Sadism, evil, brutality, domination, cruelty. No rational being can coexist with humans. Your genes have to do all the work, instincts or your sunk. There is no greater curse than to be able to think and feel, but not be driven by genetic instinct in a world like this. The world as it is has nothing to offer me but torture. Simply coexisting with humanity is driving me to madness.

Your apoligia for humanity bears no resemblance to the beasts that actually exists. I don't see humans trying to do good and trying to help each other. Humans are incapable of love. That is not the spirit of our age. Your coming from another planet. thats not the humanity I know. I have nothing in common with humanity. This does not make me superior. As far as survival of the fittest is concerned I'm clearly unfit to exist in this world.

How dare my parents disturb my eternity of peaceful nonexistence and throw me into the hell of life! Why would I feel any gratitude for the worst

Favorite Answer

Good question. Unfortunately I don't know an answer. I believe that people should be grateful they are here every single day. But that wasn't the case for me a few weeks back. I guess our perception on life changes through time. What I can say is life is a challenge and some people like challenges. Most are scared or don't know how to commit suicide (not that I'm encouraging people to do that) but some people think "what's the point in me doing this? I'll have a time to go later in life, better put up with stuff and have fun until I do kick the bucket"

Furthermore, I'd like to say this is a very interesting question and thank you for asking it.

Source(s): General
  • Amy

Thats pretty deep and ive thought of that myself. But you may have answered your question by posting it. There must be some reason, some neccesity to understand that has caused you to take action upon yourself and write this. And the world is insanely evil but its making progress it needs people like you to get out there and help change it.... in your second paragraph you mention how a person puts up with tyrany... he shouldnt have commited suicide but what he did was not the right answer either, the answer is not suicide or being catatonic its making a stand against the tide despite all odds aspiring to noble deeds, is there nothing more beutifull than when one stands against many when one doesnt let whats popular decide his beliefs, one who would sacrifice him self defending that love of woman or child? What your talking about in the third paragraph is population presure... as long as man can reproduce and has a faith to make him believe everything will be ok you can oppress him... dont fall into this, know that this is your chance to make the most to do something epic with your life. A student of history can teach others not to make the mistakes of the past, you could volunteer at a homeless shelter or give an old person some company, help the animal shelter. if you want some one to talk to id is suntzu0004.

Good questions. I have resolved them in myself by thinking of myself and others as pieces of bones clothed in meat and acknowledging that it is just the way it is. The more you can train your mind to be unthinking, unfeeling like an animal's, the better you will fee. I don't do much good for others and certainly do not expect much in return.

One day, I know I will be in a very VERY bad place and that is okay. As long as you can internalize with objectivity the 'way of the world', you will find solace in knowing that people including yourself are and always will be a certain way and aint nothing gonna change that, ever!

Source(s): me? muhahaha

The human brain is the highest form of consciousness and the only source of creativity known to exist in the vastness of the universe. It is an incredible and magnificent gift, unless you use it the wrong way-- which you are. The human mind can create and reveal as much good in the universe as it desires. The more you dwell on negative things, the more you reproduce the energy that produces negative things. Be aggressively positive and creative and step into the joy of life.

The purpose of our existence is to express and reproduce all of the qualities and characteristics of God. To be AS ONE with God. If you can't find something exciting and transcendently euphoric about that, I don't know how to help you.

You wrote, "Why doesn't the world commit suicide?"

Actually, the world IS committing suicide! We're poisoning this planet as fast as we possibly can and, if that ain't suicide, I don't know what is!

Like the old saying goes, "You don't sh*t where you eat," but that's EXACTLY what we're doing, and on a global scale, too, so it's just a matter of time, dude.

Good luck!... ☺

A voice said, Look me in the stars

And tell me truly, men of earth,

If all the soul-and-body scars

Were not too much to pay for birth

-Robert Frost

Everyone will die eventually, what's your rush? If you want to die because you will no longer feel sadness, just know that in death you also can't feel relief.

Wow, that was the most depressing thing I've ever read, and I've read Thomas Ligotti!

You should get a kitten! Kitten's are really good for cheering you up, and you can rub your face in their tummies and it feels awesome.

Either that's an interesting hoax or you really need to seek some professional help immediately.

Why have people put up with life?

i would believe that we are genetically programmed to survive. as animals we work towards the next day. some days are happy and comfy, some days are cold and wet and hungry and tired and unhappy. why? experience. the grandest experience ever devised:) touch, taste, hear, smell, see, feel:)

What is the life of man?

experience. grief. pain. hardship. sorrow. loneliness. and every so often a glimpse of truth, of laughter, of comfort, of satisfaction, of happiness:)

What makes human life so valuable that life is worth preserving for its own sake?

experience...as above. yes, were overly-destructive, overly-aggressive, short sighted creatures who are brutal to one another 98% of the time. but look at what potential we have to create with that other 2%....art, music, things like the internet so i can read GREAT questions like this and not feel so alone.

i got a puppy dog in 2003. shes saved my life at least 5 times now. amazing what you can learn to care for when shes dependent on you for everything....

"amelioration"? damn....big word. words like that can scare people ya meet. i grok ya. there are a few out here who can use words like that in a sentence...your gonna need to find one or two of these...

porn is good. long walks in the woods with pup are good. herb is good. avocado sandwiches are good. chocolate is good. THERE! tell me you dont like chocolate! i dare ya!

i've been hikin/campin whenever i get the time. and i mean im makin time:) get a tarp / tent, a dog, and get out of civilization! learn how to set up a camp in the rain, get warm with pup, cook, eat, clean up, and pack your back pack. learn how to make a warm fire with damp wood. eff societies "norms". let the kings of the skullhill play their game. until theres a critical mass things are stayin with the curve. like at the end of "Farenheit 451", do you walk or go back?

me? im walkin. we'll re-group and re-build after whats left finishes itself off.

;)

thinking and feeling are all thats real to me....and probably why my hearts so heavy. and instinct kicks in when i get hungry enough. thinking and feeling are the gifts i've been granted. because however much they hurt they make it possible to know the difference between "i had a great day:)" vs. "i had a shitty shitty day:("......ya dig?

"fear", "love"....both conceptualized by religious and political institutions over millenia for propaganda and control purposes. and i'm not apologizin for anyone...even myself. even though we are incapable of "love" we do sometimes exhibit the "trait" of "caring". like you for example.....how did you arrive at the questions you've asked? you musta cared enough to do so..........actions separate thoughts n words from deed.

i have glasses, and i had to have braces for 4 years. i wouldnt survive either....my genetics make me "unfit". but homosap has come up with spectacles.....for a reason.....

?

your parents gave ya a shot at experience. we'll get to go back to our "peaceful" non-existence soon enough. i dont like either of my parents but im glad i got to give this rollercoaster a few go arounds.....ya dig?

What you wrote made me really sad. Love does exist.. and humans are capable of love. *hug* xx