Hooked jumper cables up wrong and radio won't work, why?

I have a 2000 Pontiac Grand Am GT. I wasn't watching what I was doing and I hooked up jumper cables to the wrong posts on the battery (I'm and idiot). Now everything works in the car except the radio. No lights, no nuthin. I have checked the fuses in the fuse box and everything looks ok. Any idea what I need to do to get my stock radio/cd player back?

Best Answer

Several things can happen. You can blow a fuse or radio relay in some vehicles, you can fry wiring hardness, and/or you can fry the computer. Start by checking your fuses and relays, some cars have multiple fuse boxes. Relays you can check with multimeter. As for the wire hardness and computer your best bet is to have a pro. check it out.

If your radio isnt working, Im going to assume your cigarrete lighter, dome lights, and gauge lights arent working eigther. You have just simply popped a fuse. Unlike what this other guy said, you dont need to go waisting money replacing all the fuses. Go to your local pepboys walmart autozone sears home depot or lowes and pick your selfe up a little $3- 5 DC 12v test light. Hook one end of it up to a ground on your car. turn your ignition on. Take the needle of the test light and you will notice that each one of the fuse in your fuses box has 2 small exposed peices of metal on the back of them where the amp number is. Do not pull the fuse. Just take the needle of your test light and touch it to those exposed pieces of metal one at a time. What will happen is when you touch one it will light up and when you touch the other it should light up as well that means you have a good fuse. If you touch one side and it lights up and then touch the other side and it doesnt that means that fuse is bad and needs to be changed. Some of the fuses are not going to light up at all on eigther side, but dont worry about those just move to the next fuse. Never just look at a fuse to see if its burnt or broken, because sometime fuses will burn in a spot where you cant see it, which makes looking at them inacurate. Hope that helps.

Replace the fuses for your radio, don't just check them. I spent a week troubleshooting just because I didn't feel like just trying a new one. Fuses are cheap. Hooking your jumper cables pos to negative should not have hurt your radio because your fuses would have blown.

Source(s): School of learning :)
  • bob

if you had the radio on while you hooked up the jumper cables it more then likely burned up the circuit board inside the radio. if not some radios have more then one fuse, double check to see.

• Wanda

Hooking jumper cables up wrong can damage a lot of things . altonator . fuse panel , computer module , body ground modules , fuel injectors , and can cost over $1000.00 to fix

prob blew the fuse