Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Jehovah's Witnesses, Long may she wave talking about the Flag, is it a women, is the holy spirit a real person?

Many people call things that have no life she or he,why? Cars and other things many call he or she. In the Bible even wisdom is talked of as if it is a person. Many believe the holy spirit is a person from the way it is talked about at times. Jehovah's Witnesses do not see it as a person but a power God uses to get things done as needed. When I saw a book in the library called "Long may she wave" and it was about the flag it made me think and about the idea people have about the holy spirit, so this question now. The best way I can think of to reason with people today about that subject is the computer. It is powerful and people can do many things with it but it has no life of its own. Jehovah can use the holy spirit to do many things with but it is not a person but a tool much greater over any tool mankind can come up with. The flag is only a symbol of a nation and you can call it a she or he but that will not give it power to get up on its own and do anything for anyone. That is not trying to put down the flag of any nation but just a fact. All I am getting at is things without life are talked of has if they have life. Jehovah and Jesus each have their own personal life how about the holy spirit if we are looking for the truth not just follow a teaching just to have some form of a religion? I hope this is not too deep! But I saw that flag book with "she" and it got me thinking. I am sure I will get the good, bad, and ugly answers but I had to ask! I am not saying the holy spirit is a computer but that is the nearest thing we today know has great power but is not a person. Does the picture fit just the same?

Conundrum, NO I did not give any thumbs Down for you telling me to keep it simple!

Meagan, I saw the book "Long may she wave" in the library and saw it called the flag "she" that got me thinking about what people believe about the holy spirit. The flag is not a person but it is called a she! So the tie was there to make a point with it that is true about the holy spirit too not being a person as well. That is not being patriotic just showing how people call things that have no life he or she as if it had life. So you like so many who do not know Jehovah in truth miss the point we JW's are making! Meagan, please see Elijah's info just below you and see if you might be able to get the right accurate Bible truth from that. Sincerely Divine Truth

Thank you Elijah for that backup info to my point!

• Elijah
    Favorite Answer

In the Hebrew Scriptures, the word most frequently used for "spirit" is ru'ach, meaning "breath; wind; spirit." Having a similar meaning in the Greek Scriptures, the word is pneu'ma.

The way that the Bible uses the term "holy spirit" indicates that it is God's active force that He uses to accomplish a variety of His purposes.

For instance, Genesis 1:2 says that "God's active force ["spirit" (Hebrew, ru'ach)] was moving to and fro over the surface of the waters." This shows that God's spirit was his active force working to form the earth. (Also see 2 Corinthians 4:7 and Acts 2:1-4 for more instances.)

--------------------------------------------------------------

Other things are also personified the way the spirit is:

"Abstract and inanimate things are frequently personified" and then gives a long list of such things found in the Bible, including "a will [attributed to] the flesh and mind .... knowing, rejoicing [attributed] to the sun..." - "Hints and Helps to Bible Interpretation," #2. (Also see Jn 3:8 where "the pneuma ['wind' or `spirit'] blows where it wills.") - Young's Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible

Is. 24:4, 7 literally says that the earth and wine are mourning. (cf. NASB; RSV; KJV; JB; NJB; NAB, 1970 ed.; and MLB.)

Is. 24:23 also literally says that the moon will be abashed and the sun ashamed. (NIV, RSV, NASB, KJV, MLB.)

Trees are rejoicing at Is. 14:8 and "all of creation" [`everything made' - ETRV; `the created universe' - NEB]) waiting "with eager longing .... [and groaning] with pain" - Ro. 8:19, 22, GNB)

Even the trinitarian A Catholic Dictionary admits that the personification of the holy spirit in the New Testament certainly does not mean that it is a person:

"Most of these places furnish no cogent proof of personality....We must not forget that the NT personifies mere attributes such as love (1 Cor. xiii. 4), and sin (Rom. vii. 11), nay even abstract and lifeless things, such as the law (Rom iii.19), the water and the blood (1 John v.8)."

------------------------------------------------------------

Holy Spirit as a "he".

Even though many trinitarian Bibles use the pronoun "he" to describe the Holy Spirit, the actual Old Testament Hebrew language of the inspired writers uses a feminine ending for "Holy Spirit" (whether it's `her' "personal" name or 'her' literal title or both). And they actually used feminine pronouns ("she," "her," "herself") to describe "her". So grammatically we know that to these inspired writers the Holy Spirit was either a thing or a female person. See Judges 3:10; 6:34; 1 Sam. 10:6; 11:6; and Is. 11:2 in the trinitarian The NIV Interlinear Hebrew-English Old Testament by Zondervan. It shows the literal use of feminine pronouns for the literally feminine "Holy Spirit" in the original Hebrew.

Furthermore, the inspired NT Greek writers used a different gender! This is enough to prove it is not a person. But even more importantly this different gender for "Holy Spirit" (and its pronouns) is the neuter gender. This proves grammatically, all by itself, that Holy Spirit simply is not a person. Any good NT Greek lexicon that shows the gender of words will show that "Spirit" is neuter. Also see John 14:17 in the trinitarian interlinear New Testament, The Zondervan Parallel New Testament in Greek and English, 1980:

"the Spirit of truth which [ o - neut. - p. 173, Machen] the world cannot receive, because it beholds not it [the Spirit] nor knows [it]; ye know it [the Spirit]".

The New American Bible, St. Joseph ed., 1970, (Roman Catholic), like so many other trinitarian Bibles, used "him" at John 14:17, but it at least provided this footnote for it: "The Greek word for `Spirit' is neuter, and while we [trinitarian NAB writers] use personal pronouns in English (`he,' `his,' `him'), most Greek MSS [ancient NT Greek Manuscripts] employ `IT'."

Then, when this trinitarian Bible was later revised, John 14:17 was changed to: "the Spirit of truth, which [neuter o] the world cannot accept, because it [the world] neither sees nor knows it [the Spirit]. But you know it [the Spirit], because it remains with you" - NAB, 1991 ed. (also AT).

Source(s): Holy Spirit http://searchforbibletruths.blogspot.com/2010/03/h... Quotes: Holy Spirit is a Force from God, Trinitarians Admit http://searchforbibletruths.blogspot.com/2010/02/q... Comprehensive Research Concerning Why the Holy Spirit is Not God or a Person http://examiningthetrinity.blogspot.com/2009/08/re... Do scriptures personifying the "Holy Spirit" mean that it is a person? http://searchforbibletruths.blogspot.com/2010/01/d...

Wow, no answers? I'm surprised. Not as surprised as I am that a JW is using the flag to make a religious analogy since you all are not patriotic and do not appreciate how blessed you are to live here in the United States. Oh, well.

I will just say that you are mistaken. The Holy Spirit is in fact a person, not just some mystical force. But I've studied with some Jehovah's Witnesses for about a year and a half now, and I know that you know all of my arguments, so I won't repeat them.

I will just say that I do not believe that that God would allow His holy scriptures to be corrupted to the extent that you believe they are. When the Dead Sea Scrolls were discovered, the Old Testament had been preserved to the word for thousands of years. Why would He allow the New Testament to become utterly corrupted while preserving the Old Testament completely? Logic says that God is able to preserve His entire book exactly as He inspired it to be written.

.......This is too long a question. Keep it simple.

* So l get a thumbs Down for telling you to keep it simple?

Wow.