Why does my car say it has a bad Throttle Position Sensor?

Recently I was looking for the Idle Air Control Valve and while looking for it I accidentally removed the Throttle Position Sensor thinking it was it but obviously I was wrong. Anyways, after removing the IAC and cleaning it, I put it back and also the Throttle Position Sensor. Then after doing so, the check... show more Recently I was looking for the Idle Air Control Valve and while looking for it I accidentally removed the Throttle Position Sensor thinking it was it but obviously I was wrong. Anyways, after removing the IAC and cleaning it, I put it back and also the Throttle Position Sensor. Then after doing so, the check engine light when on. I took it to AutoZone and they told me that it was the throttle position sensor. I bought one and replaced it and it still stayed on. The autozone people told me that I had to wait like three days for it to clear. So, now it's been about a week or two and it still has the check engine light for the bad throttle position sensor. Is there a specific way of installing the TPS? It only has two screws. Could the IAC be interfering with the bad TPS read out? Please help. My car is a 2002 Ford Focus ZTS, 16 valve, DOHC, but uses the TPS of a SOHC, at least that's how I found an exact fit replacement.
Update: To everyone that told me to disconnect the battery, I had already done so. It did reset the check engine light when I turned on my car, but after turning it on for the second time, the engine light went on again. Thank you everyone for answering my question. I'll have to look further into it. I probably did... show more To everyone that told me to disconnect the battery, I had already done so. It did reset the check engine light when I turned on my car, but after turning it on for the second time, the engine light went on again. Thank you everyone for answering my question. I'll have to look further into it. I probably did install it wrong. Will take it to get it checked.