Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsHockey · 10 years ago

Probably the only question from me today.?

Recently my beloved baseball team declared bankruptcy. So my question is first, how many NHL's have filed for Chapter 11? I know the Penguins have done it twice. Also, what exactly happens to a hockey team once that happens? I know what happens to individuals but not so much organizations.

BQ* Finish the sentence: I'm part nerd because I ...............

Glasses??? You ARE a nerd!!

• Favorite Answer

According to the NHL's legal department the following teams declared bankruptcy

Pittsburgh Penguins 1975

Pittsburgh Penguins 1998

Ottawa Senators 2003

Buffalo Sabres 2003

Phoenix Coyotes 2009

Here's an article after the Sabres bankruptcy dteailing them as the 3rd team to declare bankruptcy

Shakey - can you provide proof of the Seal's bankruptcy and the Predators? Neither the Predators or their owner (Leipold) ever declared bankruptcy and the Seals went from being owned by Charlie Finley to the Gund family (current minority owner of the Sharks) and the Gund family never declared bankruptcy while they owned the Seals, Barons, North Stars or Sharks. A group that tried to buy the Seals in 1970 went bankrupt before the sale completed, but the team never declared bankruptcy

Finley gave up on the tream and abandoned them (they lost $117K in 73-74), but when the NHL facilitated the sale from Finley to the Gunds, Finley was still technically the owner.

Edit - It mentions on Wikipedia that the NHL ran the team more than a year between Finley abandoning it and an eventual sale to a Mervyn Swig. Total Hockey (The Official Encyclopedia of the National Hockey League) confirms this, and that Swig sold the team to the Gunds. But still no bankruptcy. I have absolutely no recollection of anybody named Swig (must be a senior's moment)!

Interestingly, Del Biaggio was a minority owner of the Sharks from 2000 to 2007 until he joined the Predators ownership group (with the intent of moving the team to Kansas City as we now know)

Wow. I can't remember them all but here goes a try:

1970 - California Golden Seals*

1974 - California Golden Seals

1975 - Pittsburgh Penguins

1980 - Atlanta Flames*

1998 - Pittsburgh Penguins

2003 - Buffalo Sabers

2003 - Ottawa Senators

2008 - Nashville Predators*

2009 - Phoenix Coyotes

*Owner bankrupt sold team for personal, not business reasons (I know this is debatable)

BQ: I'm part nerd because I'm studying for the LSAT, or does that make me soulless?

LITY - I read this article on Del Biaggio I now realize he is a minority owner

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/story/2008/06/06/d...

So scratch Nashville off

The best I could find on the Seals was Finley having to sell the team to the NHL due to financial problems, I will take your word over what I find on the net

BQ: I'm "part" nerd because I have over a dozen computers in my house (at least half custom built), 3 or which are running server OS's, and another two running Debian and Red Hat. I have a degree in computer programming, I'm A+ certified and I've pretty much spent the last two decades in front of a keyboard. I'm currently working as an IT Tech, Systems Administrator and Software Developer all at once. I think I win this competition.

Ironically, I was also a jock.

Your real question has been attacked by Shakey and Lity. Btw, congrats Lity to your Hawks. I am sure you are crapping bricks right now. I thinking 3 years ago, I promised something if the Hawks win in the next decade, but I do not remember what it was....

BQ: I am part nerd because, I love Star Wars.

• buie

the place do u choose for to choose for trip? Rome, Italy renowned pastime to play? Volleyball what do u positioned directly to mattress? My PJ's... it is oftentimes an excellent t-shirt and shorts. how many pillows do u have on your mattress? in simple terms 2 ever given money to a bum? Yup maximum hated meals? Sushi xP whos motor vehicle did u holiday in final? My mom's whens your b-day? In June maximum hated meals? You already asked this... have you ever slapped somebody? Haha nope does you head harm? no longer good now are you stable at giving instructions? No! how became your weekend? B-O-R-I-N-G! do u like rollercoasters? definite! whats does your final text cloth on your inbox say? i do no longer text cloth. one ingredient ur finding forward for? summer trip. one guy or woman u does no longer techniques pushing off a mountain? Hmm.... = did u take a tub right this moment? definite. the place did u get the shirt u are wearing? At Macy's did u take a tub right this moment? You already asked this!!

• i'm part nerd because i've played every game in the final fantasy series at least twice except XIII which i'm playing now. i also read at least one book a week and i can quote most of the lines from the LOTR trilogy. maybe i'm full nerd..

my money is on the barons...

BQ* I'm part nerd b/c i have a comic collection, i watch mostly horror movies and make a joke out everything.. oh and i wear glasses now