Is Mexico safe for Americans?

State Department issues new travel advisory.

http://azstarnet.com/news/local/border/article_ff8...

By following this link to the U.S. State Department’s, Death of U.S. citizen’s abroad from non-natural causes you will see that there are hundreds of victims. http://travel.state.gov/law/family_issues/death/de...

Appallingly, thirty-two percent of all “non-natural” deaths of U.S. citizens outside this country occur in Mexico.

• Favorite Answer

It hasn't been for years now. I worked in the travel industry for many years and traveled to the high end destinations. My favorite was Zihuatenho. [sp?] I slummed it one year and spent some time in Mazatlan. What a disaster. My girlfriends and I were stalked all over the place by 4 sweaty leering Mexican dudes. They were after my blonde friends big caboose. It was very scary. These guys must have known someone at the airport because the officials took our documents and threatened to throw us in jail. We almost missed our return flight by minutes. Then at LAX, we were stopped by the Feds and harassed. Said I fit the description of a drug dealer. Please. That was it. No more Mexico for me.

First congatulations to me. I'm have 4,999 points, so this answer will put me over 5,000. Now to the answer. Pay attention to those who know what they are talking about. Note the answers from people who are living there. Many people who have never been to Mexico are full of misconceptions. I have been to 19 states of Mexico, and in all of travels, only once did I feel unsafe. Mexico City's reputation had me a little worried when I arrived, but I soon felt fine. I also knew what areas to avoid. That said I wouldn't go anywhere near Ciudad Juarez, Reynosa, etc. There are a few other places that have been part of the narco violence, but they all are place that I have no need to see. I have never been to a resort and have felt walking at night in all the place I have been. Big cities do have areas to avoid at night, but I haven't had any reason to visit those areas.

• Leo

You need to put the 32% figure in context (assuming that it is accurate). Mexico is the top destinations for Americans traveling abroad so of course they are going to have a higher percentage share of deaths. And how many of those Americans murdered were willing participants in the drug trade? I would wager that it's a significant percentage.

Mexico isn't safe for Mexicans! I wouldn't travel there, considering id make a great target. Being that i usually take money with me on vacation. Id probably have a years salary in terms of your normal mexican pay. Not to mention they probably aren't to friendly due to the fact of the ongoing immigration crisis(and im white).

I honestly don't know why anyone would want to go there anyway? (Besides to see the Inca ruins) There are soooo much better places to go. Mexico is a s**thole 3rd world nation. Why would i want to spend a vacation in a nation that its own people just cant wait to get out of?

• ?

I myself would not travel there. If the water didn't get you then the drug/human trafficking/kidnapping thugs would.Just my opinion.I don't feel it is a safe place for an American to be in in a long time.

It's appalling, all right. I know I'll never go there. Giggity needs to learn the difference between raw numbers and percentages, as well as the fact that Americans get involved in drugs everywhere they go. That doesn't justify their murder.

its very safe. but it depends on where you go. not all of mexico is infested with drugs and murderers. theres states in mexico where tourism is highly welcomed. check out, acapulco, mexico.

I agree with The first guy.

2000 +, DEAD LAST YEAR.

From the illegal drug trade.

Mexico is a third world, have fun.

I wouldn't go there if you paid me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Gw6y5lXFqE

Youtube thumbnail