GIRLS!!! What do you think when a guy calls you "pretty girl"?

I texted this girl, "Hey, pretty girl! How's it going?" She didn't have much reaction to that part but we texted for a bit. Someone told me that sounds bad...? I thought all girls liked to be called pretty lol. I mean, I've known this girl for a long time, but I just started... show more I texted this girl, "Hey, pretty girl! How's it going?"

She didn't have much reaction to that part but we texted for a bit. Someone told me that sounds bad...? I thought all girls liked to be called pretty lol. I mean, I've known this girl for a long time, but I just started 'liking' her about 4 months ago... I don't think she was creeped... I just want to know why someone told me that sounds bad haha. Maybe it's a Southern thing because "pretty girl" doesn't sound odd to me. We live in Texas and I hear it a lot.