<3KPop asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 decade ago

Who is Eduard Khil? How was he discovered?

• El
    Favorite Answer

Eduard Anatolyevich Khil (Russian: Эдуард Анатольевич Хиль; born 4 September 1934, Smolensk, Western Oblast), sometimes referred as Edward Hill or Eduard Khil,[1] is a Soviet-Russian baritone singer and a recipient of the People's Artist Award of the RSFSR.

Internet meme

In 2009, a 1976 video of Khil singing a non-lexical vocable version of the song I Am Glad, Cause I'm Finally Returning Back Home (Я очень рад, ведь я, наконец, возвращаюсь домой) was uploaded to YouTube,[4] and quickly became an Internet meme[1] known as "Trololololololololololo" or "Trololo"[5], giving Khil the nickname "Mr. Trololo" or "Trololo Man"[5]. The song itself was written by Arkady Ostrovsky, and was also performed by Valery Obodzinsky[6][7], Hungarian singer János Koós[8] and by Muslim Magomayev on the Little Blue Light program in the Soviet Union.[9] The name "trololo" is an onomatopoeia of the distinctive way Khil vocalises throughout the song.

It first appeared on some sites beginning on February 21, 2010,[10][11] and gained prominence on March 3 during a segment on The Colbert Report and was also parodied by actor Christoph Waltz on Jimmy Kimmel Live!.[12][13] The song has also been used as a bait and switch prank amongst YouTube users, with many users considering that the "trololo" meme may become the new Rick Roll, having re-emerged under other names such as "Russian Rickroll", "Trololo'd", or "Communist Roll'd" in March 2010 [14].

The "trololo" meme in turn re-ignited interest in Khil's singing career aside from his vocalised performance; the "trololo" website includes a petition for Khil to come out of retirement to perform on a world tour.

I haven't heard anything about it. It's nice, of course! Thanks for good news!

There is a backstory about this song. Originally, we had lyrics written for this song but they were poor. I mean, they were good, but we couldn't publish them at that time. They contained words like these: "I'm riding my stallion on a prairie, so-and-so mustang, and my beloved Mary is thousand miles away knitting a stocking for me". Of course, we failed to publish it at that time, and we, Arkady Ostrovsky and I, decided to make it a vocalisation. But the essence remained in the title. The song is very naughty – it has no lyrics, so we had to make up something for people would listen to it, and so this was an interesting arrangement.

—Eduard Khil, LIfe News (Russian)