I have purchased United tickets to Frankfort, Germany later this summer; how can I use my miles to upgrade?

Because the fare was part of the package plan, only economy seats were offered. I have accumulated airline miles with United, and would like to use some of the miles to upgrade to a more comfortable seating. I cannot do any upgrade before the flight, which is over 3 months away, but I would like to know how to approach the subject when I check in.

Favorite Answer

You don't have to wait to request the upgrade - you could have requested this when you booked the tickets. You can request an upgrade through the mileage plus website now - http://www.united.com/page/article/1,,1150,00.html... . If there are seats available and you are eligible, you'll be confirmed right away or be put on the waiting list if there are no seats available. However, rather you can get an upgrade depends on the ticket you booked; some discounted fares are not eligible for upgrades. You may also have to make an additional payment as well as use miles.

If you wait until check-in, just ask if there are upgrade seats available, but it's less likely if you wait that long. I fly the Washington - Frankfurt or Denver - Frankfurt routes and the planes are almost always full.

• patti

A cruise from Seattle to Anchorage. Then a convention to Fairbanks. it is an 18 day out. Alaska is desirable and the ships can set you up with each type of interest. additionally, we are able to Seattle for some days in the past. consistently reported!