can ps3 play ps2 games?

can the playstation 3 play playstation 2 games

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Jenova
    Lv 7
    10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

for crying out loud! do a search for this question! it's asked at LEAST 5 times a day!!!!!

backward compatibility for the PS3 with PS2 games is as follows on NTSC systems:

20GB (4 USB slots, fat, no longer in production) - YES

60GB (4 USB slots, fat, no longer in production) - YES

80GB with 4 USB slots (fat, no longer in production, bundled with MGS4 or Motor Storm) - YES

40GB (2 USB slots, fat, no longer in production) - NO

80GB with 2 USB slots (fat, no longer in production) - NO

160GB (2 USB slots, fat, no longer in production) - NO

120GB/slim (2 USB slots) - NO

250GB/slim (2 USB slots) - NO

any other up coming PS3's - NO

PAL systems only have one backwards compatible system, and that's the 60GB.

THAT'S 4 SYSTEMS THAT ARE IN FACT COMPATIBLE WITH PS2 GAMES!!! NOT 1 SYSTEM, NOT 2, 4!!!

in short: if it has 4 USB slots, yes. if it has 2 USB slots, no.

and as you can see, there are 3 systems that are fat, but can NOT play PS2 games. just because the system is fat does NOT mean it can play PS2 games.

all PS3s play PS1 games.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3#Model_c...

the download that others are referring to is for the PS3s that already are backwards compatible. downloading it to a non-backwards compatible PS3 will do NOTHING but take up space on your hard drive! it will NOT make your PS3 play PS2 games!!!

"If a PLAYSTATION 3 is not backward compatible, you will not be able to add this function through any hardware (i.e., changing the hard disk drive) or software (i.e., updates, homebrew) upgrades or modifications. "

that came DIRECTLY from Sony's own website: http://playstation.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/playstatio...

and no, not all PS2 games or PS1 games will work. the 20GB and 60GB come the closest to being fully backwards compatible with PS2 games, but they still do not play 100% of those games or PS1 games. if you buy a backwards compatible PS3 and want to know which of your PS2 games work, check this link: http://www.us.playstation.com/Support/CompatibleSt...

I dare anyone to steal my answer again. this is MY answer. I took the time to type this all up. yes, every time someone asks this question, I do copy and paste. but I'm copying MY work, MY answer.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago

Only the 1st & 2nd generation models can play most PS2 games (none of them can play the entire game library). Sony removed PS2 playback for the 3rd generation PS3 as a cost-cutting measure and the Slim models are currently the 4th generation (obviously doesn't play them either).

• Hi there!

Originally, Playstation was planning to make the PS3 backward compatible. However, they changed their minds after the release of the PS3 60gig. So, no PS3 (s) other than the 60gig are back compatible. This has made them very hard to find. However, I do believe www.gamestop.com still has some in stock.

Hope this helped.

Source(s): PS3 Owner and Lover... with the same question :)
  • 10 years ago

Only the 60GB and the early US 80GB PS3 models have backwards compatibility with PS2 games.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 10 years ago

no

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.