i need help on Apartheid South Africa?

can someone tel some intresting facts about the apartheid, and some information. like details on the law and everything like briefly

and i also need some pictures

and if you have any other ideas that i can do for my presentation, feel free to give me some advice

right now im doing a powerpoint presentation

Update:

buddy, i did do all my work, and i searched how much i could, and when i couldnt find much i came here cuz i needed more information.. its not like im making everyone do my work im just asking for some details to make my project perfect.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

1949-Act No 55, Prohibition of Mixed Marriages Act:

Prohibited marriages between white people and people and non-white people.

1950- Act No 21, Immorality Amendment Act:

Prohibited adultery between white and non-white people.

1950- Act No 30, Population Registration Act:

Required every South African to be racially classified.

1950-Act No 41, Group Areas Act:

Forced separation between races through the creation of residential areas designated for certain races.

1950-Act No 44, Suppression of Communism Act:

Outlawed communism and the Community Party in South Africa. The definition of communism was very basic; it included anything the called for a radical change in how the government worked.

1951-Act No 27, Bantu Building Workers Act

Prevented black Africans from performing skilled work in any areas except those designated for black occupation.

1951-Act No 46, Separate Representation of Voters Act:

Led to the removal of Coloureds from the common voters' roll.

1951-Act No 52, Prevention of Illegal Squatting Act:

Gave the Minister of Native Affairs the ability to displace blacks from public and privately owned land and to place them in resettlement camps.

1951-Act No 68, Bantu Authorities Act:

Created black homelands, regional authorities and abolished the Native Representative Council. !

1952-Natives Laws Amendment Act:

Limited the amount of blacks who could have permanent residence in towns to those who had been born in a town and had lived or been employed there continuously for no less than 15 years.

1952-Act No 67, Natives (Abolition of Passes and Co-ordination of Documents) Act:

Forced black people to carry identification (which included a photograph, place of origin, employment record, tax payments, and encounters with the police) at all times.

1953-Native Labour (Settlement of Disputes) Act:

Prohibited black people to go on strike.

1953-Act No 47, Bantu Education Act:

Established a Black Education Department compiled a curriculum suited to the "nature and requirements of the black people". The aim of this law was to prevent black Africans from receiving an education that would allow them to work in positions that they were not allowed to hold under the previous Apartheid laws.

1953-Act No 49, Reservation of Separate Amenities Act:

Enacted segregation in all public areas including buildings and public transport. 1956-Act

No 64, Natives (Prohibition of Interdicts) Act:

Denied black people the ability to appeal to the courts if they were forcefully removed.

1959-Act No 34, Bantu Investment Corporation Act:

Created financial, commercial, and industrial schemes in the areas designated for black people.

1959-Act 45, Extension of University Education Act:

Prevented black students from attending white Universities.

1959! -Act No 46, Promotion of Bantu Self-Government Act:

Classified black people into eight ethnic groups. Each group had a Commissioner-General who was appointed to create a homeland. In turn, each homeland would be able govern itself without white intervention.

1967-Terrorism Act:

Create BOSS, the Bureau of State Security which was responsible for the internal security of South Africa. It also allowed indefinite detention without trial.

1970-Bantu Homelands Citizens Act:

Removed black South African citizenship and required all black people to become a citizen of the homeland designated for his/her ethnic group.

The laws of the Apartheid affected virtually every aspect of life. The Population Registration Act of 1950 required all South Africans to be racially classified into one of the three categories: white, black, or colored. Colored included Asi! ans, Indians, and people of mixed decent. The Bantu Authorities Act of 1951 created homelands which were independent states to which all black people were relocated. Four homelands were created, and over nine million black Africans lost their right to vote as well as other political rights because in being relocated to the homelands, they lost their citizenship in South Africa. People living in the homelands were required to carry passports in order to leave the homelands. Apartheid was a system of legal racial segregation enforced by the National Party government in South Africa between 1948 and 1994, under which the rights of the majority non-white inhabitants of South Africa were curtailed and minority rule by whites was maintained.

Racial segregation in South Africa began in colonial times, but apartheid as an official policy was introduced following the general election of 1948. New legislation classified inhabitants into racial groups ("black", "white", "coloured", and "Indian") and residential areas were segregated, sometimes by means of forced removals. From 1958, Blacks were deprived of their citizenship, legally becoming citizens of one of ten tribally based self-governing homelands called bantustans, four of which became nominally independent states.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

Although this will come across to some as extremely racist....I really don't care. The ending of Apartheid is a perfect example as to what happens when blacks get control over something. Detroit, New Orleans, and many more examples are available if you care to research those as well. Locations that once prospered under the leadership of white men, crumbled when Africans took over. May sound terrible....but it is very true. Sometimes the truth hurts.

• 1 decade ago

I went to south africa (capetown) in March. You should mention Amy Biehl. She was a 26 year old civil rights activist for the Anti-apartheid movement in the 90's who was ambushed and killed during a political movement.

Talk about the prison Nelson Mandela served his time in on Robben Island.

Talk about how black people were relocated (district 6) during the apartheid and moved to townships. The townships are designated areas of land with homes made of scrap metal, cardboard, and plastic that serve as homes for the black people. They still live like this today.

Let me know if you need anything in general.....

Good Luck!

• 1 decade ago

I hate it when people come on here and ask other people to do their homework for them. If I wanted to answer your question, I would have gone on Google and pasted some links and got you some info. But then I realised, what is wrong with you that you couldn't just go and do that yourself? Google isn't hard to use. In university you have to reference all you sources and only two of your sources are allowd to be websites (not wikipedia ever!). How are you going to manage?

Source(s): Final year university student - I know how to research.
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

I can tell you about Apartheids key figure- And he sums up the subject -

Nelson Mandela.

• 4 years ago

I was wondering much the same thing

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.