Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesGenealogy · 10 years ago

How can I join an Indian Tribe?

I am 1/16 Cherokee Indian.

1.)

Can you find out what races your are by a blood test for legal proof?

2.)

How can I get my legal documents saying which of my ancestors were Indian and how I'm connected to them?

Update:

I don't see how because I would obviously be insulting myself?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Maxi
    Lv 7
    10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

For legal proof you need to research your family history, looking at and providing copies of your research documents...this site may help you get started http://www.indian-affairs.org/resources/aaia_resea...

• Login to reply the answers
  • 3 years ago

Joining An Indian Tribe

• 10 years ago

You would have to be able to prove connection to someone who is or was a tribal member.

There is no blood test or DNA that would give you the actual tribe and DNA does not constitute "legal proof" There are no documents waiting for you to claim them to verify your ancestry, that is your job. and if you are serious about seeking membership you need to contact the Cherokee Band that you are related to and find out if they are accepting new members and if so how you become a member of that Band, as each of the three have different requirements. Oh and the term is Native American, using the term Indian not only is offensive it show that you haven't done the research into those you are claiming to be part of.

Source(s): Genealogical researcher 35+ years and Native American
  • Leslie
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/axiur

You need to determine which *specific* Cherokee tribe and Creek tribe you descend from. (There are 3 federally recognized Cherokee tribes and over 20 state recognized Cherokee tribes . There are 4 federally recognized Creek tribes and about 10 state recognized Creek tribes.) Once you have determined which specific tribe you descend from you need to contact that tribe directly, find out if your ancestors were listed on the tribe's base roll, what their enrollment requirements are and if you qualify for enrollment. Good luck.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Tina
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

First, you can find out if you have Native American ancestry with a DNA test but it will not tell you a specific tribe and therefore cannot be used as “legal proof” of anything.

Second, you get your proof regarding your ancestors and your relationship to them through research and proper documentation of that research.

• Today, individuals of Cherokee ancestry fall into the following categories:

(1) Living persons who were listed on the final rolls of the Cherokee Nation of Oklahoma (Dawes Commission Rolls) that were approved and descendants of these persons. These final rolls were closed in 1907.

(2) Individuals enrolled as members of the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians of North Carolina and their descendants who are eligible for enrollment with the Band.

(3) Persons on the list of members identified by a resolution dated April 19, 1949, and certified by the Superintendent of the Five Civilized Tribes Agency and their descendants who are eligible for enrollment with the United Keetoowah Band of Cherokee Indian of Oklahoma.

(4) All other persons of Cherokee Indian ancestry.

http://www.doi.gov/cheeroke.html

The website for the Cherokee Nation, Tahlequah, OK follows; they are the largest and they can give you the specific for their enrollment requirements.

http://www.cherokee.org/

• If this is your tribe, they have no blood quantum requirements but you must have all of your lineal ancestors enrolled before you can enroll, so you will have to find the last person who was actually enrolled in the tribe and get everyone after that person enrolled so that you can enroll. If some of the people are deceased, you can still enroll them so long as you can prove that they are a direct descendant of someone who was enrolled and that they descend from that person. I have several family members in this tribe that are enrolled and that is what they had to do to enroll.

The United Keetoowah Band of Cherokee Indian of Oklahoma website follows

http://www.keetoowahcherokee.org/

• I don’t know the enrollment requirements for this tribe but I’m sure if you contact them they can give you the specifics.

Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians Enrollment Requirements

The Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians enrollment requirements are based on blood quantum and linear descent.

Enrollment in the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians is governed by tribal ordinance #284 dated June 24, 1996 and restricts enrollment to the following:

Direct lineal ancestor must appear on the 1924 Baker Roll of the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians. (Note: The Baker Roll is the base roll of the Eastern Cherokee and contains the name, birth date, Eastern Cherokee Blood quantum and roll number of the base enrollees.

Blood Quantum:

Must possess at least 1/16th degree of Eastern Cherokee blood All criteria must be met in order to be eligible with the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians.

Enrollment is CLOSED to all people who cannot meet the above requirements.

http://www.aaanativearts.com/article1051…

That is all the information you would need to contact the tribes to find out about enrollment, but you will need to provide proof.

Source(s): Sources in text of answer.
  • 10 years ago

1. Yes you can. But you don't need a blood test. A simple DNA swab test will confirm this for you.

2. It's better if you google or search various Indian websites for more accurate information, such as Cherokee Indian ancestry, Indian ancestry search, Indian ancestors or American/Indian ancestry.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.