mouse asked in News & EventsCurrent Events · 1 decade ago

do you feel sorry for the American hikers in Iran ?

I don't why everyone feels sorry for them my question to the hikers is why did you go hiking

in Iraq ( where there is a war going on?) and then go into Iran.

What there's NOT enough of beautiful places to go hiking in America or friendly lands ?

• shir
    Favorite Answer

I agree with you, although I feel sorry for what they are going through b/c of their stupidity. Then today in the news is the couple who were tourists in Yemen and were kidnapped. I think people have been taking too much of the "muslims are peaceful" pills and not getting enough knowledge about how in those countries in the middle east those "peaceful" people rise before dawn to chant "Death to America." Why tour Yemen or Jordan, Iraq or Afghanistan when you can tour thousands of other places in the world that are less risky. What a lack of common sense.

I have a little sympathy for them, but not much. It was reckless of them to go hiking so close to the Iranian border and "accidentally" cross over. It is not as if they were ignorant of Iran's hostility towards all Americans. Maybe they were thrill seekers and simple spoiled rich tourists looking for a new way to get their jollies. I rather doubt that they are spies like Iran claims because they weren't captured with any sophisticated electronics. Probably the worse that they can be accused of is being stupid. Now they have become pawns in the geopolitics game. The latest news is that Iran is asking for some concessions and relief on the international pressure US is leading against it and they have implied that they would consider a prisoner exchange with America.

I agree with someone else who answered here ... if their intent was to write a book about their capture and imprisonment, I also won't buy it and hope that it becomes a dud, money loser for whoever publishes it.

I feel sympathy for their families, but the hikers need to take responsibility for their actions. Apparently they missed the memo that "Everywhere is NOT America." Traveling abroad has always held risks, and more so in war torn countries. You wonder if these people were just daring the government to arrest them. As if our government doesn't have enough to do these days.

If they intended to hike in Iran they should have registered with the Iranian government and given them their exact path, followed by their keeping with that path.

Seriously, NKorea at least has better scenery than Iran, and they take American tourists. And if you want desert we have tons over here, plus you could easily hike in Pakistan or something (so long as you watch yourself for the "kill the Americans" type).

Meh, they'll all write books when they get back. And I ain't buyin any of them.

I find it very hard to feel sorry for the American hikers in Iran. They were either truly spies, or extremely arrogant and stupid. They finally found something Mom and Dad could not buy them out of.

No. Sometimes when we do something really stupid, we must face the consequences of our actions. Hundreds of other dumb kids will be saved now from making this same bone headed mistake.

Yeah but if an Iraq or Muslim came to America hitchhiking and we did something mean to them then we are "horrible people and racists". Its all about the double standard.

They're Jewish activists,it's a well known fact and yet they expect people to believe they were just hiking.They seriously can't think people believe they weren't spying and didn't know full well where they were.No sympathy.