Insects eating pea plants...?

I am growing pea plants and so far they are growing nicely, but insects are eating the leaves. I am not sure what insect is eating them but I was wondering if there is anything that I can put on the plants that will repel the bugs, or is there something I can buy?

Favorite Answer

I have the same problem every time I plant peas. The difficulty is, it could be any number of things eating the peas. It could be mice, birds, rabbits, slugs, snails, or any number of insects.

If it is birds or rabbits, then putting up some netting over a wire cage of some sort should protect it. If mice, then the cage may help, but mice can dig under, so... traps to get rid of the mice. If slugs, see this page for ways to get rid of them. http://www.wikihow.com/Get-Rid-of-Garden-Slugs

If insects, well, it will depend on the insect, though there are some natural/organic sprays that have garlic, cinnamon, cayenne pepper, or other things in them that are often a natural deterrent for insects as well as rabbits, and that don't leave residues of unsafe toxins on your plants. Do further research on getting rid of insects if none of these things help.

Also, planting marigolds amongst your plants or around the perimeter of your garden helps keep certain insects away as its smell and certain chemicals put out by its roots repel certain kinds of bugs. I've had fewer problems years I plant marigolds in and around my pea plants. http://www.ehow.com/list_5911986_flowers-keep-bugs...

Good luck!

• buil

Rabbits or floor hogs. floor hogs love peas and beans and could devour them to the floor. So will deer. solid success, I actual have had to offer up my vegetable backyard thoroughly because of the critters, and that i will't do some thing about it because I stay next to a woods except a tall and deep fence. you will get a activity digital camera, it quite works on an infrared mild and could take photos of regardless of the undeniable fact that is eating your backyard, at a minimum of the secret will be solved.