Need some ideas for summer dessert for outdoor event?

My daughter's end of the season T-ball potluck will be at the end of June. The food will be under a pavillion, but I still don't think bringing ice cream or the like will survive after 90 minutes of T-ball practice. Any suggestions?

• Darren
    Best Answer

Maybe do a sheet white cake with vanilla icing and fresh berries?

Sounds nice and summery and would last for a couple of hours outside.

You can make a glaze for the berries by heating up some seedless jam in the microwave and adding water, like 4:1 jam:water, then dipping or tossing the berries in.

All kinds of salads are good! Sandwiches ( egg, tuna, salmon, and/or cucumber and cream cheese) At my sisters shower someone had made these penguins out of an egg and black olives ( Oh my gosh they were so cute!) You take a hard boiled egg, and use black olives for the feet, and wings Using tooth picks, and I think his beak was a small piece of carrot! (Just a cute idea) A big punch bowl is always a great idea. Veggies and dip are also a great idea. For dessert, I would go with something easy, like cookies, or squares.

• Emu

Fresh fruit is always a winner at an outdoor event. Brownies are good also.

For the fruit ...melons are really refreshing and good. Scoop the melon out and cut in chunks, then put back in the rind to serve. If you have a large plastic bowl to fill with ice and set the melon in...that's great!

I have done this a few times and it is always a hit. I buy disposable plastic see thru cups and layer fresh fruit (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries) with low fat vanilla yogurt (I really like trader joe's) and sometimes even put cubes of pound cake in between layers with a little chocolate syrup. Top with whipped cream and wrap (if needed) individually with plastic wrap. It's super yummy and oh so healthy!

Brightideas.com has a bunch of creative ideas that would be perfect for your daughters T-ball event! Here are some of my favorites that I really think you will enjoy making as much as you will tasting!

Baseball Cupcakes- http://brightideas.com/bright_idea.aspx?ID=112

Ladtybug Cupcakes-http://brightideas.com/bright_idea.aspx?ID=27

Feel free to browse around the site for other unique ideas! http://brightideas.com/default.aspx

Kristin

The DOVE Chocolate Team

Source(s): www.Brightideas.come
  • Cathy

This is an easy one - you need Dry Ice. My grocery store (Albertson's) in town sells it. So, check with your local grocery stores. Then, if you have an Ice House that supplies ice that certainly have it. And places that supply ice cream trucks with their supplies usually have it. Fishing and tackle stores sometimes have it. It will keep you ice cream perfectly frozen for hours. Let the place you buy it from know what you are freezing and how long you need it frozen and they can recommend how much to buy.

You'll need an ice chest to keep it perfectly frozen with the dry ice. So, if you don't have one, go to 7-11 or even grocery stores sometimes have those styrofoam cheap-o ones. I'd say they are maybe $5.

Good luck.