Jimmy asked in Cars & TransportationAircraft · 10 years ago

VFR or IFR,which one is awesome?

• Best Answer

Rather than going thru the pros and cons for each flight rules and their respective regulations and procedures, I'd say that handsdown....IFR is FAR more 'awesome.' Why? simply ask this....which came first, the chicken or the egg?... one can't go IFR without mastering the rudiments of VFR. Which one has more limitations? Certainly not IFR. And with IFR, one can go and 'punch' through the clouds and IMC.

Simply put, one can earn a 'fine' living fully relying on IFR.

And if you simply want to do some sightseeing, then simply switch to VFR, so long as conditions are on VMC.

Source(s): F/O..major A/L

IFR is an intellectual and psychological challenge, VFR is a visceral and visual experience. IFR is more practical for actually getting somewhere, since it makes you more independent of weather conditions, but VFR is simpler if you are just flying for fun in good weather. IFR is safer than VFR when done properly, and more dangerous when done incompetently. And IFR in VMC can seem constraining, whereas VFR in IMC is suicide.

• SkyDog

I feel just the opposite - IFR is the no-brainer flight, VFR requires more work.

After you file every flight and just sit back and receive ATC instructions, it becomes almost passive flying.

I haven't flown under VFR for years... it's almost scary, I'm not sure I'd remember what to do without ATC, victor airways, departure and arrival procedures.

There are days when there is the tickling desire to squawk 1200, give it the wing over and carve up a river at 20 feet... so VFR would have to be where I cast my "awsome" vote.

VFR - You never miss it until it's gone.

VFR is awesome because you can see the scenery. There is something to be said for being able to see where you're going. IFR is like a giant computer game.

It depends.

I like VFR because I don't need to talk to anybody on the radio, and can get close to interesting things I want to see on the ground.

IFR can be good too when you are looking at a sunrise or sunset over an undercast or are dodging building cumulous clouds on a sunny day. But going down to minimums in ice and turbulence with a plane load of sick and scared passengers is no fun at all.

VFR is sightseeing, IFR isa challenge

They are equal, but different. One is for fun (VFR) and one is for survival (IFR).

Source(s): Naval Aviator

I vote for IFR...

• greg f

Both are awesome

Source(s): Flight Instructor http://centexflighttraining.com