Why did a republican congress/white house run massive $300 BILLION deficits every year?

From jan 20 2001 to jan 2007 republicans controlled the entire govt and ran massive deficits every year.

2002 - 258 billion deficit

2003 - 378 billion deficit

2004 - 413 billion deficit

2005 - 318 billion deficit

2006 - 248 billion deficit

2007 - 161 billion deficit

Total - 1.77 Trillion in 6 years

Avg deficit of 298 billion - (please note, the war was costing 50 billion yearly so that is not the cause)

Source: Congressional budget office

http://cbo.gov/ftpdocs/108xx/doc10871/historicalta...

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Best Answer

because Dick Cheney and Ronald Reagan told them that 'deficits don't matter'

• 4 years ago

Lets see... 378, 413 (election year), 318, 248, and 161... yup, we were just starting to fix up some of the money wasters you guys had set up. You know, cleaning up after you guys can be hard. And hey, look at that, take the 50 billion for the war out of those numbers and we're doing better than your Dem. gov all 'round. Quit your fussing, have you ever noticed that republicans don't tend to fuss about stuff like that? Even though you guys keep accusing us to try and make yourselves look better? I mean, you'd think that all the problems you guys have would be worth complaining about non-stop right? Oh wait, I forgot, we're actually mature! How silly of me.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

Good thing Obama put the federal government on a strict no-spend diet, huh?

• 10 years ago

this question is really an eye opener!

the truth will set you free!

it's obvious republicants do not care about our deficit

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago

As opposed to the 1.9 Million dollar deficit this poser has created in one year???? Yeah.....don't be an obama fool, you only make your family look bad.

• 10 years ago

About right now, a $300B deficit sounds pretty damn good.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

because the federal government is useless, they should get rid of it

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

I don't care how much you polish it, 0bama is still a turd.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.