What does one sentence below? Could you help me...?

Hello. I'm a foreigner. I'm glad to meet you. The time here is 5:30 P.M. The reason why I ask a question here is because I can't understand a sentence. As long as you answer me, I hope you are a native. But I will welcome whoever you are if you know English well enough. My questions are as... show more Hello. I'm a foreigner. I'm glad to meet you. The time here is 5:30 P.M.
The reason why I ask a question here is because I can't understand a sentence.
As long as you answer me, I hope you are a native. But I will welcome whoever you are if you know English well enough. My questions are as follows.

The new Danish government rode to power astride that issue last fall, and polls suggest that it could help German conservative Chancellor-candidate Edmund Stoiber do the same in September.

Q1
The part which bothers me is "rode to power astride that issue". Please explain it to me.
Q2
"it" of "it could help..." indicates "that issue". Right?
Q3
"do the same in September"
In this part, What is "the same"? Does "September" point at "last fall" ?

In a word, I would like to know the meaning of the (origina)l sentence.
Really, I'll appreciate your help.