Why did a republican congress/white house run massive 300 BILLION deficits every year?

From jan 20 2001 to jan 2007 republicans controlled the entire govt and ran massive deficits every year.

2002 - 258 billion deficit

2003 - 378 billion deficit

2004 - 413 billion deficit

2005 - 318 billion deficit

2006 - 248 billion deficit

2007 - 161 billion deficit

Total - 1.77 Trillion in 6 years

Avg deficit of 298 billion - (please note, the war was costing 50 billion yearly so that is not the cause)

Source: Congressional budget office

http://cbo.gov/ftpdocs/108xx/doc10871/historicalta...

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago
    Best Answer

Total - 1.7 Trillion in 6 years?

Obama wants a 10 trillion deficit during his term in office.

• SGT. D
    Lv 6
    10 years ago

Just because the Dem's are better at hiding a deficit, doesn't mean they didn't have one in the past. Problem is, Obama isn't even worried about hiding his huge deficit.

Case in Point: When it is claimed that Clinton paid down the national debt, that is patently false--as can be seen, the national debt went up every single year. What Clinton did do was pay down the public debt--notice that the claimed surplus is relatively close to the decrease in the public debt for those years. But he paid down the public debt by borrowing far more money in the form of intergovernmental holdings (mostly Social Security).

The following quote from an article at CBS confirms the explanation of the Myth of the Clinton Surplus, and the entire article essentially substantiates what is written.

"Over the past 25 years, the government has gotten used to the fact that Social Security is providing free money to make the rest of the deficit look smaller," said Andrew Biggs, a resident scholar at the American Enterprise Institute.

• 4 years ago

Lets see... 378, 413 (election year), 318, 248, and 161... yup, we were just starting to fix up some of the money wasters you guys had set up. You know, cleaning up after you guys can be hard. And hey, look at that, take the 50 billion for the war out of those numbers and we're doing better than your Dem. gov all 'round. Quit your fussing, have you ever noticed that republicans don't tend to fuss about stuff like that? Even though you guys keep accusing us to try and make yourselves look better? I mean, you'd think that all the problems you guys have would be worth complaining about non-stop right? Oh wait, I forgot, we're actually mature! How silly of me.

• 10 years ago

Why did Obama run a decicit FOUR TIMES HIGHER than Bush's in his first year?

Why does the CBO (Congressional Budget Office) project that Obama's 4.3 trillion dollar budget would double the National Debt in just 5 years and triple it in ten?

Bush is no longer President. He can't do anythin to stop the expansion of government and the balooning Debt. It's Obama's job to deal with this problem that is happening during his administration

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 10 years ago

what is your point? You aren't going to justify Obama increasing the deficit in one year than all the president's combined. Give me a break. you think you are going to justify record deficits because you can say "look, Bush did it too!"

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

Mission Impossible

• 10 years ago

Hey didn't you see that other guy?

He said this was Obama!?!?

So yeah, i don't care about where you got your FACTS, im following that dude and his beauty pageant winner!!!

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

so it stopped after the dems took over?... way to withhold info.

you are just a wing nut.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

They were trying not to be big govt.

They failed... again

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.