Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 10 years ago

Why do Jewish people write God: "G-d"?

I know it's out of respect for his name, however, that isn't his name. His name is Yahweh, and that was changed to God because his name was considred too holy for human lips.

And now, jews think that the title they gave Yahweh out of respect for his name, (God, or Lord) is still too holy and they need to change it again out of respect for Yahweh? Sorry, what?

Do most Jews even know that God's true name is Yahweh? It's in all the early manuscripts.

Now, I'm not saying that giving respect for God's name is a bad thing, (Although, it is not mentined at all in the Torah, IDK about the Taknah) I'm just saying, it' already been done. Refering to Yahweh as God or Lord is already respecting his name. So, now the title we gave to Yahweh, (God) to give respect to him, is considered too holy, and needs to be changed out of respect for him (G-d)

16 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Best Answer

"Yahweh" is a SERIOUSLY bad mistranslation/transliteration. We don't use it; it makes no sense in Hebrew, espeically as there is no "w" sound in the language. We also don't use "Jehovah" if for no other reason than the fact that there is also no "J" sound in Hebrew either. And by the way, Hebrew, IN Hebrew, is pronounced "Ivrit."

Yud-Hey-Vav-Hey is the name by which God is called in the scriptures, and we do not know the correct pronunciation, so we do not say it (among other reasons). Written Hebrew doesn't use vowels, and there are most definitely none in the Torah.

How about you quit telling US how to deal with God? If it weren't for us, you wouldn't have any knowledge of him to start with, so take it someplace else; we're not buying.

• 10 years ago

Deuteronomy 12:2-4 Destroy all the places where the gentiles that you are driving out worshiped their gods, whether they were on high mountains or on hills, or beneath any leafy tree. Raze their altars, smash their pillars, burn their idolatrous asheirah trees, and demolish the images of their gods. Obliterate the names (of their deities) from that place. Do not do this to Hashem your G-d!

Although "Do not do this to Hashem your G-d" only applies to the Hebrew names of God, those who wish to be strict may be strict. It's to keep it from being printed and treated without the proper respect. The word God doesn't have the necessary importance to which to actually apply that command, but as I said, some people like to be more strict. Then they don't make the mistake when it counts.

• 4 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Why do Jewish people write God: "G-d"?

I know it's out of respect for his name, however, that isn't his name. His name is Yahweh, and that was changed to God because his name was considred too holy for human lips.

And now, jews think that the title they gave Yahweh out of respect for his name, (God, or Lord) is still too holy...

Source(s): jewish people write god quot quot: https://shortly.im/5Xb4B
  • Maci
    Lv 4
    10 years ago

I suppose I should give the whole explanation about how the name you've given is a famous mispronunciation that grew out of misinterpretations of the original Hebrew text, but I just don't feel like it.

That said, you've answered your own question, you just don't like the answer. Do all Jews use this abbreviation in English? Nope. Do some? Yep. Is this really a problem? Definitely not. I'll make you a deal, you don't tell us how to relate to our deity and we won't tell you how to relate to yours.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 10 years ago

So you think of God as Yahweh and they believe to write the name of God, as G-D what difference does it make as the Lord looks at what is in your heart, if you are going to fight about God's name as to how it is suppose to be written, seems rather silly does it not? Unless they dishonour the name of God Himself

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

answer: and you would be in error. It is not in any early manuscripts by Jews.

Yahweh is a guess name that is NOT used by Jews.

The Torah scrolls does NOT have vowels. Jews don't even attempt to figure what vowels go with YHVH (no "w" in Hebrew).

You are claiming Yahweh is a title and a name - it is neither and Jews do NOT say His name.

Using the guess name Yahweh would be DISRESPECTFUL for a Jew to use.

• 4 years ago

The Name of the Eternal is Too Holy to Pronouce The Tegragrammaton in Greek Four Letters of Eternal name name.YHWH The Christian Eternal is the Name as the Hebrew Yhwh Da Zvi :) .

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

It's because they believe that you shouldn't erase the name of god and so by writing it Gd they wont be erasing gods name if they make a mistake

• 10 years ago

Yes, Orthodox Jews write G-d, out of respect. They would rather err to the other extreme rather than take the chance of slipping. It is definitely something we can learn from them.

They believe in taking the extra step to even avoid temptation.

In many ways westerners have lsot a sense of God, have lost the reverence for God.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

Because there's something in Judaism (I forget what it's called) where they take rules one step further than specificied in order to inadvertantly offending God.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.