Martial Arts for a beginner aged 20. Self Defence.?

I want to get into martial arts and self defence. Trouble is, there are just such a wide array of different arts, i.e. Karate, Taekwondo, Ninjutsu. And this is absolutely great, but for a beginner its awfully confusing... I don't really know where to begin. I've looked at a few club website's and... show more I want to get into martial arts and self defence.

Trouble is, there are just such a wide array of different arts, i.e. Karate, Taekwondo, Ninjutsu. And this is absolutely great, but for a beginner its awfully confusing...

I don't really know where to begin. I've looked at a few club website's and Taekwondo really appeals to me at the moment, but is it right for me? What should I look out for?

I feel like I'm starting a tad late too...I come from quite a rough area and it would be good for me to know how to defend myself if the need arises. What is your personal opinion?

Regards.
Update: Just want to thank you all in advance of your replies.