Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentOther - Politics & Government · 1 decade ago

How do think the Men at West point felt after Obama's speech there?

Favorite Answer

The men and women. I watched part of it. It seemed like many of them had been ordered to attend. Maybe most. I saw very few that looked enthusiastic.

Edit: Doug, chill dude. Of course I know they were required to attend. Subtle humuor, guess you were too worked up to notice. I suspect many would have chosen not to. I also believe many are not happy to have him as Commander in Chief. I stand by my observation that many were not enthusiastic. I noticed many either did not applaud or did so as the other guy said " golf clapping". No i did not serve. When I graduated from High School and was seriously considering it my father ( retired, 30 yr. ) discouraged me from it. He wanted me to take over the daily management of his business. I did register for selective service even though I was exempt. The military at that time was having no problem meeting recruitment goals. If they had it probably would have influenced both my mine and my fathers thoughts on the matter.

I thought it was excellent, well measured, and frankly so much better--from a diplomatic stand point--than any I have witnessed to date. Over on Morning Joe, they are already starting their negative spin. While they agree it was a great speech, there are a couple who are now taking it in the "how will what he said ever reach the people who need to hear it" direction. What are they saying, that it was a waste of time, or that there are not a lot of Americans who could also benefit from some of the basics found within.

• Doug B

Inspired. Unlike the screeching right-wingers here, the newly-minted officers at West Point are patriotic Americans who understand that the President is their Commander-in-Chief. He didn't lie to them, he told the road ahead was long and hard, and that there wasn't going to be a defining surrender, but that we will win and we won't be fighting alone.

By the way, it's West Point. And 135 of the 1,002 graduates were women. The President shook each graduate's hand and looked them in the eye while thanking them for serving.

Cargo Pilot: Let me introduce you to something called NATO. US troops have been serving under foreign command structures for sixty years now. It's called working with our allies. Worked pretty well during World War II as well.

Charles_C: This was USMA West Point's graduation ceremony. Of course they were ordered to attend! It's a military formation! What you saw was military discipline. Did you ever serve?

• justa

It looked like every West Point graduation. This is the ninth class to graduate during this war.

BTW, I think the Women at West Point respected the fact that the President was there too.

Perhaps they will be serving as a part of the "new international order", with other countries giving them marching orders.

I'd assume it was kinda like a married couple feels after visiting with a priest.

Couldn't he, just for once, quit preaching!!! He doesn't have a clue about the military!!! Maybe he should spend 16 weeks at boot camp, just for starters. Maybe he'd be too tired to talk!

I can only assume from all of the golf clapping I heard; bored to tears.

Half of them looked like they were ready to fall asleep. Some of them did.

I imagine that they felt a twitching sensation in their trigger fingers.......