if a nerve is severed during surgery, will it regrow and if so, will it grow back with the same functionality?

Best Answer

Not likely. Regeneration of nerve tissue is extremely limited and many lawsuits have been won by many patients for this problem. Iatrogenic problems are the number one killer in the U.S. with more people dying of this than any major disease, including cancer, heart disease, diabetes, stroke, etc. In July 2004, Gary Null Ph.D, Carolyn Dean M.D., N.D, Martin Feldman M.D., Debora Rasio M.D., Dorothy Smith Ph.D. wrote a paper that revealed very disturbing facts regarding an annual iatrogenic (induced inadvertently by a physician or surgeon or by medical treatment or diagnostic procedures) death rate of 783,936 in one year. It is further disturbing to realize that as few as 5 percent and only up to 20 percent of iatrogenic acts are ever reported. This means that that iatrogenic death rate of 783,936 is most likely much higher.

As we look at the causes of death from degenerative diseases and other causes in America in 2004, it is obvious we are not good at solving this problem on any level.

When comparing the iatrogenic acts of modern medicine in America with the statistical numbers of people dying of any particular disease, it is evident that the American medical system is the leading cause of death and injury in the United States. And when we look at the cost of these iatrogenic deaths, the cost is in the billions.

I cannot tell you how many stories I've heard regarding medical malpractice. My girl friend is a court reporter and I am amazed at what happens in hospitals and doctors offices. All I can tell you is that there are a lot of "C" students out there and the drug companies have one agenda, PROFIT, not health that makes it even worse.

good luck to you

Source(s): Certified Nutritional Therapist B.A. biology & chemistry QRA Practitioner, Author Advanced nutritional research

Depends. Nerves can regenerate.

• creed

it all depends on what nerve;; if it's the main nerves, they MAY do SOME form of regeneration

;; if it's the surface nerves, they regenerate;; you'll get your 'feel' back to your skin...hope this helps...,