My transmission is 'going' on my 97 honda accord?

My transmission in my 97 accord is starting to take a while to change gears while in the correct rpm range. I have to let off the gas or sometimes it won't do it. Car is 4 door, has 130k miles and I live in wilmington, de. I take good care of it with the fluids and regular maintenance. I only trust one mechanic on this planet but he doesn't do transmissions. So, I took it to Benchmark and they say it's 'going' and quoted me $2100 after taking a look at it for a rebuild. Should I do it? I still owe $3k on the car. I don't mind paying $2100 if it's the best thing for me to do. Just figured I would check first. Thanks.

• bobweb
    Best Answer

It might be best to buy another car now. Even though you've taken good care of the engine, you have to guess whether it will need a timing belt or new head gasket etc, both expensive repairs. The problem in my opinion is that the only good automatic transmission worth the money is a new "remanufactured" transmission (NOT a "rebuilt" transmission) from a company like http://www.jasperengines.com or your Honda dealer etc. But that would cost at least $3000. So the bottom line is that I don't recommend you investing any more money in this car, even if you lose your $3000 investment!

• Teresa

most of the manufacturers recommend to change the transmission fluid every 100,000 miles. other until it reach the 130k. but before you change the trans fluid you have to make sure is the right one, just like engine oil, look at the owners manual or service manual for details. changing transmission fluid is essay but to know how to do it on a safe way as well. when you change transmission fluid you'll have to replace the filter and pan gasket as well. to change the trans oil jack up the vehicle all four tires (always use jack stand to support the vehicle). on the trans oil pan there is bolts all around it, make sure to use the right size socket (metric or standard). before loosen the bolts put a jack with a big woodblock underneath the pan so it won't fall when all bolts are take off. take the bolts off. (fluid is going to drop all sides so have a oil drain with you) low the jack with the pan in it, take the rest of the fluid off the pan.

Take it to the dealer on the last Saturday of the month a couple hour before they close. You will find a hungry salesman ready to take a trade in with out doing much more than look at the interior. Drive a hard bargain, they want one last sale to go on their commission check for that pay period!

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech

I just had the trans rebuilt on my sons 99 Accord and it cost just about $2K car had about 160 thousand miles on it. Was it worth it? I think so when you figure $2k vs 5 years of car payments for a new car.

your transmission might not be gone yet if you get the fluid and filter changed right away but don,t flush it, just change it.

do your self a favor. buy your self another car.