Sarah asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 10 years ago

French: Forming a negative sentence?

Which is correct? Please help, I'm confused! Merci!

Nous ne prenons pas *les* fruits.

Nous ne prenons pas *de* fruits.

Nous ne prenons pas *des* fruits.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

the second one is correct and i will tell you why.

when you use the deinite article (le/ la/ l'/ les) you are talking about it as a whole in a sense the entire supply. so to translate "Nous ne prenons pas les fruits = We are not taking all the fruits"

now when it comes to the second and third sentence only one can be correct, but why can it not be the third, when it would be correct in the affirmative?

what i meant was that in the affirmative writing "Nous prenons des fruits" you would be correct, however when you do not want to take the fruit then your structure changes.

going from - Nous prenons des fruits to Nous ne prenons pas de fruits.

however - lets make the sentence a little clearer, lets actually make a quantity by adding "un kilo de"

so affirmative = Nous prenons un kilo des fruits = We are taking a kilo of the fruits

so negative = Nous ne prenons pas un kilo de fruits = We are not taking a kilo of the fruits

so I hope this helped you.

Source(s): Native French Speaker
    • Login to reply the answers
  • 10 years ago

Nous ne prenons pas les fruits = We are not taking [do not take] the fruits. The "les" means "the", used where you are talking about the whole selection of fruits available.

Nous ne prenons pas de fruits = We are not taking [do not take] any fruits.

The "de" stands for "any" after a negative. It must always be used in French whereas in English we sometimes leave it out, eg: "We are not taking [do not take] fruits".

In your third sentence, the "des" is not used with the negative. It stands for"some", eg.

Nous prenons des fruits = We are taking some fruits, or: We are taking fruits [implying, but not saying "some" ].

Source(s): BA in French, teacher of French
  • 10 years ago

Nous ne prenons pas les fruits and nous ne prenons pas de fruits are both correct depending on the meaning of the sentence. Nous ne prenons pas des fruits is definitely always wrong.

Les fruits works if you are talking about specific fruits and if it were in the positive you would say "Nous prenons les fruits."

If, in the positive, you said "un/une/de/des/du/de la", then you would change it to "de" in the negative. Basically, if the fruits weren't specific fruits then, it would become "de."

So, if you sentence in the positive is "Nous prenons les fruits," it will just be "Nous ne prenons pas les fruits." But if it's "Nous prenons des fruits," it will become "Nous ne prenons pas de fruits.

• 10 years ago

The 3rd one is mostly wrong

The 1st and 2nd are both right but depend what you want to say

We take the fruit - Nous prenons les fruits <> Nous ne prenons pas les fruits - We do not take the fruit

We take fruit - Nous prenons des fruits <> Nous ne prenons pas de fruits - We do not take fruit

'pas les' is the definite article (i.e. 'the')

'pas de' is the indefinite article (omitted in english)

It's probably easier to understand if it's singular:

I take the fruit - Je prends le fruit <> Je ne prends pas le fruit

I take a fruit - Je prends un fruit <> Je ne prends pas de fruit

Source(s): Native french speaker
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago

des is wrong.

les fruits means the fruits

de fruits means fruits OR any fruits

• anto
    Lv 6
    10 years ago

Wrong one is "des", you can say "les" or "de" it depends on what you want to say.

if this is you homework, I guess your teacher want you to use "de".

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.