How to clean the inside of a fuel tank?

How would i clean the inside of the tank? We already have it disconnected from the truck and got it drained of gas. But we don't know the right way of cleaning it.

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

If its really bad here's what I do. I put a few handfuls of 2B limestone gravel in the tank along with about a quart of acetone. Get you and a buddy to slosh the snot out of it. The acetone dissolves the gunk and the stone gets the stubborn stuff. Don't worry, the stone is big stuff, like the size of the end of your thumb and its not "dirty" -- as in having lots of stone dust and little bits along with it. Its just big stuff so its easy to get out and easy to tell if you've missed one.

• 1 decade ago

you need to take it to a place that cleans radiators, it needs to be chemically boiled out and recoated, but if done improperly the coating can come off and plug the lines up. BEST SUGGESTION, BUY A NEW TANK TRY LMC TRUCKS on the internet, and since you already took the tank out, replace the fuel lines, they are full of the same crap in the tank, there is no easy way to do this, you need chemicals that require complete skin coverage, and probably respirators too. It will probably be better to buy a new tank good luck

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.