promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Is a General Discharge bad?

Any info helps

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

A General Discharge isn't as bad as a Dishonorable Discharge, but it can be tough to overcome once you're on the outside world. It can prevent you from applying for and getting certain jobs and can limit your ability to rejoin the military if you ever wanted to do so. That's because a General Discharge is like saying you didn't do a bad job in the military, but you may not have done the best job, either.

You can still be successful with a General Discharge, though. I have a friend who got out on one last year and he is now working for LG. So keep your head up and forge ahead :-).

Blessings to you!

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

It's not good but it is not nearly as bad as a Bad Conduct Discharge (also known as a BCD or Big Chicken Dinner) or Dishonorable Discharge.

Service members normally receive an Honorable discharge when the service member completes their tour of duty and meets or exceeds the required standards of duty performance and personal conduct. However, one need not complete his or her term of service to receive an Honorable discharge; provided the reason for involuntary discharge is not due to misconduct. For instance, service is characterized as honorable for failure in the fitness program (but will not be eligible for re-enlistment in any branch afterwards. See the link below: Military Separation Codes & Reenlistment Eligibility Codes). Those receiving an Honorable discharge will generally get veterans' full rights and benefits and are able to obtain post-service employment.

A General discharge is for service members who leave the service under honorable conditions, but their conduct and performance of duty was not so meritorious to receive an Honorable discharge. Reasons for such characterization are generally preceded by some form of nonjudicial conduct. Some people think that a General discharge is as good as an Honorable discharge, but this is not true. A General discharge may disqualify a veteran from participation in the GI Bill, service on veteran's commissions, and other programs where an honorable discharge is required.

An Under Other than Honorable Conditions (UOTHC) discharge is the most severe form of an administrative discharge. This characterization represents a significant departure from the conduct expected by a service member. Significant departures include security violations and the use of violence. Recipients of UOTHC discharges are generally barred from enlisting into any component of the Armed Forces and the majority of veterans' benefits are unavailable.

Unlike an administrative discharge, a Bad Conduct discharge is a punitive discharge that can only be given to an enlisted service member through a Court Martial. Virtually all veterans' benefits are forfeited by a bad conduct discharge.

Similar to a Bad Conduct discharge, a Dishonorable discharge is a punitive discharge and not an administrative discharge. A service member may only receive a Dishonorable discharge through a General Court Martial conviction for offenses like murder, rape and desertion as part of the sentence. This characterization of service results in a loss of all veterans' benefits and may make obtaining gainful employment difficult.

Commissioned officers cannot be given a Bad Conduct discharge or a Dishonorable discharge. If an officer is convicted by a General Court-Martial, then that officer's sentence can include a "Dismissal." This is considered to be the same as a Dishonorable discharge.

What happens to you in the military can have lifelong effects, in particular when you consider a discharge's impact on post-service opportunities, such as educational and other veterans' benefits and job prospects.

Military Separation Codes & Reenlistment Eligibility Codes:

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/theorderlyroom/l/bl...

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

No, I got a GD under "Honorable Conditions" I just say I got an Honorable Discharge, leave it at that. I worked on Government contracts and held different levels of security clearances. That is if they say Honorable Conditions on your DD214?

• TedEx
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

,Not exactly, but I wouldn't go bragging about my military record if I had a general discharge.

An honorable dischareg is something that carries bragging rights with it, a general is something, well, go into a VFW post and say you have a general sdischarge and there won't be many people lining up to buiy you a beer.

A general may be hard to get., for to get an honorable, all you really have to do is do your job and know when to shut up.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.