How many universe creation theories are out there?

I know the Big Bang Theory is pretty much the only one accepted in science, but I want to learn about the others. There's got to be others. They're soooo hard to search. I'm doing a research papaer on creation theories, and so far I've got the Big Bang, Infinite Universe Theory, Theta-MEST, and Theorist Theories. Are there any others?

Oh and if you have an idea of what there was before the universe was created or how it was created I would really like to hear it. I'm mega interested in your own opinion.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The Infinite Universe Theory (Borchardt, 2007) should not be confused with the Steady State Theory, which it commonly is. Like the Big Bang Theory, Steady State Theory assumes that the universe is expanding, with hydrogen being created out of nothing, albeit over very long periods. Like the BBT, Steady State Theory is based on the assumption of creation, while the true Infinite Universe Theory (IUT) is based on the assumption of CONSERVATION (Matter and the motion of matter can neither be created nor destroyed), also known in its energy-based form as the First Law of Thermodynamics. Cosmological theories that assume that the universe had a beginning are referred to as "cosmogonies." They stem from the everyday observation that all things in the universe have a beginning (as their various parts converge) and an ending (as their various parts diverge). This is a non sequitur, however, for the universe as a whole, which may be assumed to be infinite and eternal.

Nearly every civilization has a cosmogony, although the alternative, minority view probably can be found within most societies as well. You just have to check historical documents. For instance, in checking for evidence of pre-1849 earthquakes in California I came across this conversation between a priest and a native American: Priest: "You know that God created the universe, don't you? Indian: "Why you silly man. It has always been here!"

Reference:

Borchardt, Glenn, 2007, Infinite universe theory: Proceedings of the Natural Philosophy Alliance, v. 4, no. 1, p. 20-23.

• 1 decade ago

Actually, the Big Bang theory is NOT a theory about the creation of the universe. It is a description of the behavior of a universe with a constant amount of energy-matter, which is allowed to cool in an expanding universe.

When we run the theory backwards (to see how the universe behaved in the past) we come to a moment where we can no longer explain what happens. We can't even explain how time itself could have existed "before" a certain moment. This is why we conclude that there was a moment that marks the "beginning" of the universe as we perceive it.

However, the Big bang theory does not tell us how the universe began (whether it was "created" or if it came from some other type of universe).

The scientist who came up with the hypothesis that later became the Big bang theory was a priest. That is why the earliest moment that can be analyzed using the Big Bang theory is sometimes called "creation".

---

There are ideas as to what could have come BEFORE the first moment at which the Big Bang theory can be applied (the "beginning" or the "creation"). However, because they cannot yet be tested, they are not officially theories yet, even though some of these ideas carry the word "theory" in their names.

The cyclic universe. M-theory. String theory. Multi-verse (the ones with the colliding "branes", where the collision energy and site provides the expanding energy we perceive as being our universe). And many more.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

My idea regarding the origin of the universe is that existence exists, without alternative. It isn't possible for there to be anything that isn't a part of existence. That's a tautology, but it is a unique tautology. Usually, when you say "A is A," you don't mean that there can be no such thing as a B. But when you say "existence exists," that's exactly what you do imply.

But just because you understand that existence exists, without alternative, you don't necessarily understand the details. You don't automatically know the default state of existence. You don't know what existence does when it has no special reason to do anything at all. To learn that, you turn to physics.

And the answers we've found so far say that existence, by default, is energy, randomly distributed with a very rapid, fine-grained, and low-amplitude flux. In other words, a macroscopically flat spacetime that is abuzz on the small scale with quantum vacuum fluctuations.

This is not the sort of place our universe is now, nor ever has been in its history. Our universe's spacetime has plenty of locations where it is not flat. Our universe has macroscopic texture, and primarily I refer to gradients of potential energy and to the forces that cause those gradients.

So, somehow or other, existence gets perturbed from its default state into another state: the universe state.

I think that happens by chance. Quantum fluctuations of vacuum energy occur at random, and there's nothing other than entropy to constrain anomalous pile-ups of flux. Once in a great number of opportunities for something to happen, something unusual happens in the default state. Enough energy pops into existence, just by coincidence, at about the same locus of spacetime, to form an event horizon around itself. So that before the energy can pop out again, it has already fallen into its own black hole.

Once the energy is in its isolated spacetime, it is found in a state which is entirely too symmetric, too well-defined, from its own point of view. The state violates the uncertainty principle, and the reaction is the breaking of symmetry and the inflation of a universe as a reaction to an extreme form of degeneracy pressure. The only reason the inflation rate isn't infinite is the quantization of time, and the Planck extreme upper limit on temperature.

And what happens after that is evolution, in the broad sense: cosmic, stellar, biological.

While a universe is relatively young, it is a very different place than the default state of existence. But gradually, as entropy and decay processes (including black hole evaporation) occur, the universe eventually, after 10¹⁰⁰ years or more, converges back toward the default state for existence.

• bianka
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

How Many Universe Are There

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • eri
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

The one in use before the evidence for the big bang was discovered was the Steady State theory.

• 1 decade ago

Lots.

• 1 decade ago

3 big bang, big crunch ,and god

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.