Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 10 years ago

Why did Latin disappear?

After the Roman empire fell, Latin disappear as the common language (correct me if I'm wrong that it was after the Roman empire). Anyway, I wonder why did it disappear? I know that it wasn't spoken like English is today but a lot of high educated people did know it.

Also, could this ever happen to English or is it too well trenched?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

It didn't disappear. It simply changed into French, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Romanian and other Latin languages, all of which might be termed modern dialects of Latin.

If you compare the English of Shakespeare's time to modern US English, it will give you some idea of what can happen to a noble language in the course of a few centuries.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Meera
    Lv 4
    10 years ago

It didn't really die, it blended in to French, Italian, Spanish, Romanian and Portuguese. And it is still used in the Catholic Church and still studied by many people. Latin declined because the Roman empire fell and so it evolved. All languages will eventually evolve. It won't happen to English anytime soon but maybe in a very very very long time it will fade out.

• savard
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Latin is an old Indo-European language. It was once at first spoken most effective in Latium, the area instantly surrounding Rome, however received broad foreign money because the formal language of the Roman Republic and Roman Empire. Later followed through medieval students and the Catholic Church, it remained alive for lots of centuries after Rome's fall. Latin is now greatly regarded to be an extinct language, with only a few fluent audio system and just about no local ones. Latin survives because the reliable tongue of Vatican City and because the reliable language of verbal exchange of the Roman Catholic Church. Until the Nineteen Sixties, it was once additionally the language of the Roman Catholic liturgy and remains to be so used underneath distinct stipulations. During the Middle Ages it flourished because the language of the colleges, students, and writers. It was once the language of international relations in Europe as overdue because the seventeenth cent. and was once nonetheless greatly utilized in scholarly writing within the nineteenth cent. Today, even though the language has a lowered position within the institution curriculum, Latin roots maintain to function a principal supply for the derivation of recent phrases within the sciences and applied sciences.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.