Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 10 years ago

Why Do People Deny the Civil War Was Caused by Slavery?

The Civil War came about because of the South's desire to expand Slavery to the west. Ever hear of the Missouri Compromise? or Bloody Kansas? The Republicans in the Northern US wished to stop slavery from expanding to the new territories. They wanted free white labourers to settle there instead of slaves which they couldn't compete with labour-wise because a slave earned no wages and was much easier to use. Also, the US Constitution gave Slave states extra votes based on 60 percent of the slave population it had. This have the South extra power. The South wanted to see this power expanded to the West to preserve Slavery in the United States.

So when Mr Lincoln said Slavery would expand no farther in 1860, most of the slave states left except for Kentucy and Missouri(I believe). The US Civil War was caused by slavery and the goal of the war was to preserve the United States.

26 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago
    Best Answer

The Civil War was started because the southern states no longer wanted to be part of the union and wanted to secede from the rest of the country. Lincoln felt it be harmful to the country as a whole, especially when the reason they wanted to secede was because they didn't like the Federal government that was in place and wanted their own Federal Government.

Slavery was just a part of the Civil War. Southerners lived a very different lifestyle than those in the north, thought differently about everything and saw no problems with having huge plantations and free labor. Thus the Civil War became a reality.

• 10 years ago

The Civil War was a bloody and rather complicated set of events, but its roots probably went back much further than 1860, when the Confederate states seceded from the Union. It should be noted that Lincoln had not even been inaugurated when the states left the Union. His election triggered the exodus.

I have politely listened to the argument that states' rights was the root cause of the Civil War for some 50 plus years now--since I was in school. I say horse hockey. There was one states' right at issue, the right to permit ownership of slaves. Lincoln had not made any commitment to ending slavery, but had spoken out against it. Do northern states have states' rights issues? Of course they do. Every state has them. Why were there no northern states that joined the Confederacy to defend "states' rights?"

I think there could have been some power issues at stake, but that could have been southern power issues as much as federal. Lincoln was a fair man. He would not have turned the south upside down economically over this or any other cause. There were abolitionists in the south as well as in the north, and most of the young men and boys who fought for the south never owned a slave. They believed they were fighting for their homes. Their homes were never threatened until Confederate forces attacked Fort Sumter, forcing the Union into a war that probably could have been avoided.

Consider this: What would have happened had the Confederacy won the war? I doubt if the states that were in the Confederacy would have stayed together more than ten years. Most--if not all--would have ended slavery in a matter of a few years. Texas would have likely immediately gone independent. Many of the states would have sought reentry into the Union. By 1900 the map of the Lower 48 states would have looked much as it does today.

For one thing, the Confederate States were already in debt and getting in deeper. They would have needed the Union to economically recover. This would have also sapped the resources of the northern states.

We might not have bought Alaska from the Russians. We might have also not fought the Spanish-American War. This would have left the United States a much smaller country than it is today.

I think we would have still become a Superpower, but we might have a lot more company in that status.

The expansion of slavery in the west was probably an issue, but I don't think it was the primary one.

However I think slavery was the central issue in the events which led to the Civil War and it greatly influenced them.

• Teresa
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Because we aren't functionally illiterate. Since you probably don't have all day to read the rest, here's the short version. "Secession" and "starting a war" are not even similar things. Claiming otherwise is like claiming walking out of your house is the same as setting fire to it. As with all links any Democrat has ever posted, yours DISPROVES your claim. NOTHING you presented here advocated war AT ALL. Obviously slavery was a large part of the motivation to SECEDE but NOT A SINGLE LINE of what you posted or which can be found by chasing your link suggests GOING TO WAR. NO State and NO individual ever advocated "going to war to protect slavery." It simply never happened - as YOUR sources make plain.

• Naz F
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

Northern industrialists wanted slavery to end, because they couldn't stand the wage competition. They also wanted an economic system in which they could 'hire and fire at will.' Slavery opposed this freedom to 'hire and fire at will', because by contrast, a slaveowner was responsible for his slave, for life.

Also, it's worth noting that the slave states that stayed with the Union (Kentucky, Missouri, West Virginia) were allowed to keep their slaves till the very end of the war; long after the Emancipation Proclamation had been signed.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago

like most issues Rod...

they don't bother to read the history...

The main explanation for the origins of the American Civil War is slavery, especially Southern anger at the attempts by Northern antislavery political forces to block the expansion of slavery into the western territories. States' rights and the tariff issue became entangled in the slavery issue, and were intensified by it. Other important factors were party politics, Abolitionism, Southern nationalism, Northern nationalism, expansionism, sectionalism, economics and modernization in the Antebellum Period.

those who DENY this have an AGENDA that includes pitting the races

AGAINST each other...

edit: and of course as usual

LIBS hate FACTS

Source(s): 20 Jan 2013 THE COUNTDOWN IS ON!!!
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago

If true, why did Mr. Lincoln wait to sign the Emancipation Proclamation until January 1863 when the Civil War began in April 1861 with the South's firing on Ft. Sumter in Charleston, SC harbor?

Was Mr. Lincoln just playing "politics" with slaves?

• 10 years ago

I think most people agree that slavery was the cause of the war, but some believe that the war was waged at the behest of wealthy Northern interests, not abolitionists. Obviously, there had to be a coalition between the two -- the abolitionists and the Wall Street elite. Politics makes for strange bedfellows.

• Alex E
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

You all must be a graduate of the American public school system (or maybe you didn't graduate) with the exception of the one person who claimed to have been there in the war. Utterly ridiculous

• 10 years ago

Because it was not.

It was over economics and public funding.

The North controlled the federal government, then all social programs (such as building things like the eerie canal) were given to the North.

The spark that ignited it was when Lincoln won the presidency.

---

The American Civil War started in 1861, Slavery wasn't even mentioned until 1863 with the Emancipation Proclamation, which only freed slaves in Southern states.

Source(s): Slavery was legal in 4 NORTHERN states.
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago

For the same reason nazis deny the holocaust never happened or Southern bigots blame slavery on Africans in Africa. It's better to recreate history if you were one of the ones who really fked it up to begin with.

If I were them I'd lie about it too wouldn't you??

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.