ahtn asked in SportsCycling · 1 decade ago

GPS with canada maps also good for bicycling?

I'm looking for a portable GPS that I can use for driving in the US and Canada and can mount on my bicycle for road trips. I think the garmin nuvi 500 is good, but no Canada maps. Any advice?

I think the garmin nuvi 550 will do the trick! I don't care so much about elevation, but at least this one has CA maps.

Favorite Answer

You aren't going to find one device that works well for car and bike ... at least not at a reasonable cost. The Garmin Edge 705 is a well regarded bike computer/GPS/HRM that comes with Canada and US maps .... but is about $600 and not ideal for car use. See the first link for what MEC offer (including the 705) and the second link for a refurbished 705 at under $400. As you note most don't have Canada maps. That said, if you want Canada topo maps you can download free (3rd link) and load in Garmin car GPS's (like the 265WT).