Can landlord make me pay for new carpet?

The apartment complex where I just moved from is now telling us we have to pay to replace the carpet in the entire apartment because my dog urinated on a small area. I had the carpets cleaned (as well as cleaning the mess as soon as it happened), and the company said they would come back to touch up any problem areas. The apartment complex won't let me do this because they said they have to replace the carpet no matter what kind of cleaning is done to it. I was also told that the cement has to be repaired (why wasn't it sealed before they bcame a pet-friendly community?)

Should we have to pay for 1000 square feet of carpet for about a 16 square foot area that was damaged? The complex says the carpet they put in there five months ago is no longer available. Coincidentally the carpet in all the hundreds of units they have is the same. Is this something we should have to pay for in Colorado? Thanks for your help!

p.s. there was a big storm that caused leaks in the wall near where they say the damage is, and I don't even know what this leak could have done. I told them that but they refuse to acknowledge the fact that these leaks I reported caused any damage.

To the brilliant reply about letting a dog or animal pee on the carpet- obviously! Accidents happen and that is why deposits are requested.

To the angry landlord- no one said I wanted them to leave a hole or cut out a hole. Was my question not clear enough? I am not saying I shouldn't be held accountable for repairing the damage WHERE IT WAS DONE, not the entire apartment. Thanks for trying anyway.

Why should I have to pay for the whole apartment to have new carpet because the carpet color used in every other apartment in the community is supposedly no longer available. If it were available I wouldn't have to pay for the whole apartment, so as far as I am concerned the choice in carpet is not my issue. I didn't make that decision. I did decide to rent an apartment in a pet-friendly community, where pet accidents should be expected and prepared for by the owner simply to protect investment(if a landlord doesn't expect an accident then they wouldn't charge extra pet deposits).

Furthermore, if a landlord rents a property he/she knows is not reasonably resistant to pet damage to a person with pets then they are just as at fault for the damage as the person who causes it. Otherwise a property owner could rent a property that is falling apart and pay for the repairs with the tenents' deposits when they unknowingly cause damage to something that is already deteriorated or damaged (I didn't/couldn't inspect under the carpet before I moved in).

What would the difference be if I was the one who pee'd on the carpet because I have some sort of bladder issue? If I spill paint on the corner of the carpet that was installed five months ago, where is the logic in requiring me to replace the rest of the carpet where nothing is wrong?

Favorite Answer

Most people do not allow pets to urinate in the house, being pet friendly does not equal having pissed on carpeting.

You need to replace the carpeting, and you replace the entire thing, a giant hole where the piss is located is not cut and pasted.

• Ethel

SHOULD HE? Well, depends. What state do you live in? What does your lease say? What are the Landlord/Tenant rights in your state? City? County? What did you both agree to? Can you do something to "cover the smell"? I mean you didn't NOTICE IT when you were renting the place and most likely a cat didn't come in and PEE there AFTER you signed the lease, so he must have made some attempt to get the smell out. I have gotten lots of smells I thought would never go away with a product called ODORBAN. They sell it at SAMS and I've seen it at Walmart. Spray it in the offending areas, or better yet, clean the carpets with this solution and see if that cures it. Should he? Well, he SHOULD, but will he is probably the real question! Ask and see what he WILL do! It never hurts to try the sugar first THEN the atom bomb. Knowing what your rights and responsibilities is KEY however. So do some homework! Good luck!

It sounds excessive to me. Apartment complex aren't generally known for being reputable, and they may be trying to shake you down for money on an item they have no intention of repairing/replacing. Do a search on line to see if this apartment has done similar things to other tenants in the past.

I recommend talking to a lawyer for additional help.

You should check your lease about repairs. If it's the landlord's responsiblity, and he's the one who pays the bills for them, then no, you don't have to pay for it.

If not, then yes, I would assume you would need to pay but I agree about talking to a lawyer first. You may not have to shell out any money, except for lawyer's fees. It's best to get legal advice.