Why are my brake lights staying on when I turn off my car?

I have a '97 Ford Escort. I got home around 9pm, turned off the car and didn't notice anything when I went inside the first time, but when I looked outside around 10:30, I noticed my brake lights were on. I turned the car on, and pushed the brake pedal a few times, then turned it off. Still on. So, the only... show more I have a '97 Ford Escort. I got home around 9pm, turned off the car and didn't notice anything when I went inside the first time, but when I looked outside around 10:30, I noticed my brake lights were on. I turned the car on, and pushed the brake pedal a few times, then turned it off. Still on. So, the only thing I could do for now, was to pull the fuse out. What do I need to do to fix this? If I pull quite hard on the pedal, the light goes off, but when I let go they stay on.

Oh, and a few months ago, I replaced my right rear turn signal bulb. A month after that, it was not working again. Took the bulb out, looked at it. Didn't look like anything was blown on it. Changed it again. Could this have anything to do with it?

I'm running a DC-AC Inverter through my lighter socket.