Is there a provision in the new immigration law in Arizona that criminalizes the companies that knowingly...?

employ illegal immigrants? What exactly does it say? And if not, why not? If these companies didn't hire illegals, then wouldn't that solve some of the problem?

Update:

I know it's in Federal law; I'm specifically asking about the Arizona law. If they felt the need to enact a law of their own, then why not put that provision in there?

Update 2:

Why the difference? Why should one be a felony and the other a misdemeanor?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes, Arizona passed a law to prosecute employers a couple of years ago under Governor Janet Napolitano (D). Many illegals left immediately to take up residence in neighboring states. However, that law is not being enforced. Arizona passes one voter initiative after another which the legislature ignores. Unfunded mandates are simply ignored.

Shortly after our former governor assumed the office as head of Homeland Security, there were DHS raids on businesses. Because she allowed that to happen, she took some heat from the President.

John McCain and a Democrat (I've forgotten who) teamed up to write a bi-partisan immigration law several years ago. McCain now denies that he's a maverick because that proposed law got him in hot water with his Republican base.

The Feds already have a law on the books to prosecute employers for hiring illegals, but they don't enforce it. McCain tells us the law is not enforced because the Feds cannot make a fraud-proof ID card. We can follow the path of cows into the U.S. in order to track mad cow disease. Unfortunately, we can't track people. The law is already on the books -- who will step up to enforce that law? Where will the money come from? Arizona's schools are the lowest funded in the nation. Who in their right mind would pay to enforce those laws rather than fund the schools?

Yes, Arizona has been demanding immigration reform for many years, but our demands have fallen on deaf ears. Our new law seems to have had cured the Feds of their deafness, but don't expect the new law to be enforced... we are broke, verging on bankruptcy.

• J C
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

The law makes being illegal a felony. If you hire an illegal or transport them i.e. day laborers. It's considered a misdemeanor. Harsh I know.

Source(s): The way I see it is that it wouldn't be politically expedient to hold American business men and women to the same standard as an illegal.
  • 4 years ago

There we circulate back.... giving 'em loose stuff. Make 'em purchase the cheese to circulate with their whine! So how a lot of you liberals that interior the previous published actually stay in Az?? perhaps one... guess you do no longer stay everywhere close to to our southern border. It never ceases to amaze me that the folk biotching the main approximately this regulation are the two; ~ right here illegally ~ do no longer stay in Az ~ have no first hand know-how of what's extremely happening in Az I invite all you whiners to return trip right here in alluring Arizona. %. up your little ones, pets and spouses and hire an RV. Plan a three-4 week stay at one among our state parks only north of Nogales (or Lukeville). do no longer forget approximately to %. a shotgun and loads of ammo tho.....

• Mutt
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Sec. 5. Title 13, chapter 29, Arizona Revised Statutes, is amended by adding sections 13-2928 and 13-2929, to read:

START_STATUTE13-2928. Unlawful stopping to hire and pick up passengers for work; unlawful application, solicitation or employment; classification; definitions

A. It is unlawful for an occupant of a motor vehicle that is stopped on a street, roadway or highway to attempt to hire or hire and pick up passengers for work at a different location if the motor vehicle blocks or impedes the normal movement of traffic.

B. It is unlawful for a person to enter a motor vehicle that is stopped on a street, roadway or highway in order to be hired by an occupant of the motor vehicle and to be transported to work at a different location if the motor vehicle blocks or impedes the normal movement of traffic.

C. It is unlawful for a person who is unlawfully present in the United States and who is an unauthorized alien to knowingly apply for work, solicit work in a public place or perform work as an employee or independent contractor in this state.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Yes. It will also be illegal to transport them. AZ must still depend on ICE to deport the illegals they arrest. ICE is saying they won't fulfill that duty now. I call that criminal negligence on the part of the federal government.

• AI
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Yeah was a proposition a couple years ago. it passed. Its separate from the 1070 bill in the news.

• ?
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

that is in the federal law. are they going to enforce that law like they do immigration laws

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

No it can`t be the guy that look like you.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.