Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

should i buy this car?

it's a 2005 toyota rav4. 66,000 miles (a little bit over the 12,000miles/year mark, but i think that's okay)

i took it for a test drive for about 10 minutes and it seemed fine. i'm a new driver and i felt very safe and comfortable. i like the fact that it's higher than a car, yet still easy to park.

they're asking $14,500, but will go down to $13,500. that price includes all new tires, an oil change, and new brakes.

thanks for your help :)

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

In part the price depends where you are located.

In more rural areas, you may have to pay $1,500 to $4,000 more than in a metropolitan area for the same vehicle, as used Toyotas on non-metropolitan dealer lots disappear quickly, as Toyota's reputation for quality has become quite pervasive. By this standard, the 2005 Toyota RAV4 at $13,500 may be rather a steal, provided that it has been properly maintained.

The 66,000 miles is inconsequential (assuming proper maintainance and no abuse); Toyota vehicles are known for both reliability and durability.

The 2010 Auto Reliability GPA of the 4-cylinder Toyota RAV4 is 3.88 over a 10-year data history. In other words, in a letter grade, the 4-cylinder RAV4's reliability earns an A, for infrequency of reported serious problems.

For comparison, here are overall 2010 Auto Reliability GPAs for several brands, in descending order:

Honda: 3.67 (an A)

Toyota: 3.53 (a low A)

Acura: 3.38 (a B)

Subaru: 2.61 (a low B)

Hyundai: 2.54 (a low B)

Mazda: 2.28 (a C)

Ford: 2.17 (a C)

Volkswagen: 1.58 (a low C)

Chevrolet: 1.37 (a D)

Chrysler: 1.04 (a D)

Dodge: 0.97 (a D).

If you are satisfied with the condition of the vehicle, I would pay the $13,500.

• 1 decade ago

The important thing is whether you like it and are comfortable with it. Too many people end up buying a car that they are not happy with, either because they want to look cool, or are pressured into something that is really not what they want. The price seems OK.

• RRR
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

$13,500 would be for a standard RAV4 in "Excellent" condition. I would try to talk them down to $12,500, due to the mileage.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Seems okay but check that it has a complete service history by Toyota approved garages if not be aware that it may not have been maintained correctly.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

That is a great choice! Talk them down a little more 12,500-13000 for high millage and be sure to have a mechanic check it out.

• STEWIE
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

No, that's a terrible price.

Look for yourself:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/searchresults.jsp?la...

• 1 decade ago

yes

prior to paying please have everything in writing.

prior to paying please have the promise completed...tires, oil change (?filter?) and new brakes.

I assume all 4 wheels for brakes.

the rav4 is a good choice and with good maintenance should last well beyond 100,000 miles.

Source(s): pro
  • 1 decade ago

Quite good, I think its cost should only $10500 only then it would be a worthy deal.

• 1 decade ago

eh, its okay.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.