Liberals with "robin hood syndrome": How do you like the new robin hood movie with a conservative paradigm now?

The old (liberal) robin hood was all about robbing from the rich and giving it to the poor to satisfy his own pity complex, but the new (conservative) robin hood is about Personal Freedom and liberty and limited government.

Favorite Answer

I will bet you $1,000 that the real Robin Hood was not gay

and

did not welcome French illegals into Germany

• Sarah

Well, he was an outlaw in a corrupt government. I've only seen the movies, but, from what I understand, his land or rights or nobility, whatever, was actually stripped from him via ursurping government. His ultimate goal was a support for wealthy, noble land owners like himself, which would be similar to a republican in the modern day. He was the 1%. Smarter, meaner, leaner, more educated, better work ethic, broader vision of something greater- he was a leader for the liberals. He was the man who the OWS followed, since the average tools who surrounded him and whom he helped were weak, poor, incapable, of lousy upbringing and with no comprehension of authority. The fact that he robbed from the rich/government to give to the poor may seem like a socialist agenda, but it was actually a job with a purpose through which he excercised his honed skills and his brilliant ideas, employing underlings as he saw fit to the ultimate end of regaining his land and becoming a Lord once again. He was 1 a wealthy 1% who ripped off the government, used the people, was successful, talented and capable (capitalist) and far more interested in his own freedom based on the conservative or old school value system that he was raised with than socialist ideals for everybody else. He was a right wing conservative capitalist. He would've voted republican. He would quit his whole "stealing from the rich and giving to the poor" tirade once taxation was normal and he had all his goodies back (not to mention a hot new bride, if I'm not mistaken).

How did the rich (then and now) BECOME rich? Then, it was by taxing the poor everything they had; now, it's by keeping almost all of the profit of everyone else's labor.

That's the part wing-nuts just don't get. Just as it was wrong for the aristocracy of Feudal Europe to live well, and bedeck themselves in riches, while all the people who actually did all the work were near starvation; so it's wrong for the super-rich to underpay their employees, given themselves huge piles of money, and pay a LOWER rate of tax than their least-paid employees.

No SANE person considers that reasonable, or fair. BTW, it's also unsustainable in the long run.

The current "conservative paradigm" OPPOSES liberty, as it advocates forcing the neo-cons religion on everyone.

"Limited government" -- that's con-code for "let's have tens of millions of Americans (most of them children) starving to death in the streets. Let the rich steal everyone's money AND then ruin the entire economy. Let companies sell goods that maim or even murder consumers. Let businesses poison the air and water, and slaughter every living thing."

It isn't only in economics that the wing-nuts would return us to the 14th century (with 1% of the poplation owning 99% of the wealth): theocracy, Biblical science; "the Divine Right of The Decider" (abolishing constitutions and rule of law).

What conservative "Robin Hood" does is steal from the starving and give to the rich. How much sense does that really make?

I haven't seen it but I'll take your word for it. The libertarian message also looms large in 'The Dark Night' and even 'V for Vendetta' to an arguable extent. I don't care much for the libertarian message in film (or in literature or in real life for that matter) but it's nothing new. Libertarian mythology has dominated the arts since long before the arts. I in fact consider 'The Dark Night' THE quintessential libertarian film paradigm and I have watched it dozens of times because I find the blatant hypocrisy and childish sentiment of it so fascinating. It will shock me to see if 'Robin Hood' so much as holds a candle to it but you never know, libertarian hypocrisy and sentiment never cease to astound and never appear to discover sensible limits as well (I cite Rand Paul as a classic example of as much). If 'Robin Hood' manages to commit such an offense, I imagine I will enjoy hours and hours of entertainment value criticizing it but I think the whole thing rather repulsive as well. All of humanity today lives in a global libertarian disaster site it may not even survive and yet libertarians continue to insist what went wrong is not enough libertarianism and what surely will cure all our problems is escalation and acceleration redoubled of everything that caused all our problems. Personal freedom, liberty and limited government? Childish sentiment, mythology and superstitious nonsense. May it all long rot in hell.

The Robin Hood legend has lasted for many centuries due to the inherent appeal of the nature of his actions. That legend also promoted the concepts of personal freedom and liberty as exemplified by Robin Hood's actions. In any case, one movie with a different slant can't counteract centuries of the Robin Hood lore.

Was the bush tax cuts for the rich reverse robin hood syndrome?

The tax burden shifted to the middle class, but conservatives don't seem to understand that fact, even though they are paying a larger share of the country's taxes.

And at the same time, they'll whine about tax cuts.

Its bizarre, this conservative misunderstanding of reality.

The old robin hood was still good. He was stealing from the rich, but the rich who are rich through unfair taxation. The story of Robin Hood has always been about individual freedom, and liberating the oppressed people of a corrupt command

Well....given the years we have had in this country of stealing from the poor and giving it to the rich, we could really stand for a real Robin Hood in this country!

The citizens of this country need to rise up against being taken advantage of to put money in the greedy CEO's pockets!

I've always liked Robin Hood: Men In Tights. I haven't seen the new one yet.

Source(s): liberal democrat

You mean it was stripped of its underlying religio-patriotic paradigm of protecting the underclass from exploitation by the rich regent of England, John, brother of Richard the Lionheart and his greedy minion the Sherrif of Nottingham?

Sounds boring

• That's ALWAYS been the Robin Hood story.

> An illegitimate government is raping the people.

> Robin Hood "steals" from this illegitimate usurper and returns the people's stuff.

"Robbing from the rich and giving it to the poor" was always a liberal distortion.