Juniper asked in HealthWomen's Health · 1 decade ago

I had sex before a pap smear and results came back abnormal?

The letter says the pap smear shows abnormal cervical cells called mild dysplasia or LGSIL. I had unprotected sex the night before the test (although my boyfriend pulled out). I told the nurse at the office and she asked my doctor who said it was O.K. for me to have my test.

My previous pap smear was about a year and a half ago and it was normal. I've only had one sexual partner since that test (same boyfriend).

What are the chances that having sex beforehand played a part in these abnormal results? I called the Doctor but she wasn't there.

Doctor wants to do a colposcopy. I was unsure about doing the pap smear since I had sex. But I asked the Doctor and she gave the O.K.

Favorite Answer

Having sex too close to your pap can alter the results of your pap, doctor's really should tell women that (or at least have their secretary's or nurses do so) before we go in for our exam. Your results can also be altered if you have a bacterial infection or yeast infection. Think about it, you have unhealthy or foreign liquids (for lack of better words at the moment) inside you, of course your test can come back abnormal.

This happened to me in April of 2008, I had a bacterial infection I didn't know I had (due to surgery a few weeks before where they had used a urinary catheter). The GP that did my Pap didn't tell me I had an infection but called me a week or so later to say that my pap was abnormal. I went to a GYN a week later who didn't repeat the pap because I had an infection (he saw it right away). At that point I had the infeciton for several weeks so he gave me medicine and recommended the colposcopy. I did do it and found I had cervical inflammation (from the infection) and then had cryotherapy to remove it and all my paps since (and it's been 2 years) have been normal.

If your pap was normal last year then you should be fine, but if you have changed sex partners since then you may want to have the colposcopy done just to be safe. It is much like a pap only they take a little piece of your cervix to test it, only mildly uncomfortable. This way they can test it and make sure there is nothing else going on. The chances of having it be cancer are rare but better safe then sorry.

Sex Before Pap Smear

Yes, yes, yes. Stop worrying. About a year ago I went to get a pap and just as you said, the results came back abnormal. I had a chat with the RN and she explained that if you had sex the night before, it's very likely that is the source of the problem. She suggested I come back six months later (rather than a year) so we could do another pap smear and make sure that everything was okay. Sure enough, it came back normal and everything was fine. Of course, there is a possibility that HPV or other STDs can cause this result, but more likely than not you have nothing to worry about. Sometimes they just come back abnormal for no real reason. Also, if you had your period recently that could be the cause. Stop worrying and talk to the doctor, but from my experience and the experiences of my friends I know you'll be fine. Good luck!

Sex Before Smear Test

Unprotected sex can skew a pap smear result but that is usually the result of irritation that has taken place over a period of time. Your Ob/Gyn will probably ask you to return for a repeat pap in about 3 months to be sure that things are looking ok. My doctor tells her patients no sex for 48 hours before any pap test to avoid such worrisome results that probably mean nothing serious but never the less have to be investigated to be certain. Word to the wise, refrain for 2 days before you have any pap screen.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

My previous pap...

Source(s): sex pap smear results abnormal: https://biturl.im/o2yCY
  • Pem

Not related.

Don't worry. The same thing happened to me. I just recently went for a follow up pap smear and the result was negative. Make sure you have your follow up exam in 12 months time!

Minuscule.