Why are so Many Male Anime Characters Voiced by Women?

Just out of curiosity, why are so many male anime characters voiced by female voice actors? And why do so many fangirls automatically think this makes said character effeminate or even gay in nature? (I've seen this as the basis for so many yaoi pairings! "Oh, his voice actor's a girl. Therefore, he's gay.")

Thank you! :-)

Favorite Answer

Do you have any examples? Are they little boys, light-hearted, or bishie characters? (out of curiosity)

I know Himura Kenshin's character was voiced by a woman, and I think Yahiko (but he was a boy, so that's why they needed a higher pitched voice).

Never thought that being voiced by a woman made the character gay tho >.>

It's either part of their character or not. Voices shouldn't be judged like that, as they're only there to accentuate the character. Like Yuki from Fruits Basket. Can't remember if a woman voiced him, but he did have a lighter-toned voice like a woman could have voiced him. It just high lighted his characterization as a pretty bishie boy.

I think that often the reason for this is because of the age of the character. School age guys, even high schoolers, will have female voice actors so that they sound young and innocent. Also, I've noticed that many prince-like characters have female voice actors, and I think this is to give them a sweet, compassionate, innocent feel. Kenshin (Rurouni Kenshin) is voiced by a girl, and I've heard that it's because he's supposed to be a bit feminine and youthful.

I don't know if this helps at all, but it's what I found to be true, and I've read a few things in magazines. But I do not believe that being voiced by a girl means that character HAS to be effeminate or gay.

• Aiyana

Uh... who thinks that? You must be talking to some different anime fans than the ones I know, because I've NEVER heard anyone say "His voice actor's a girl so that automatically makes him gay!" That sounds so silly.

Anyway, I've noticed that the male characters voiced by Japanese females are usually young boy characters (such as Ciel Phantomhive, Edward Elric, Tsunayoshi Sawada, Naruto, etc.) If a grown man tried to do a 12 - 14 year old boy's voice, it might sound kind of weird, like... too deep/manly.

Ciel Phantomhive Voice Actor

Yukimura, Ryoma and Fuji from Prince of Tennis. Reborn, Lambo, Basil from Katekyou Hitman Reborn. Lag from Tegami Bachi. Ciel and Alois from Kuroshitsuji. Oz from Pandora Hearts. Probably loads more. Usually younger or teenage males are voiced by women.

I think most of the female-voiced male characters are physically and personality-wise quite androgynous, so female voices are more appropriate. I guess it's not untrue to say they are usually a bit bi-sexual, it's a recurring theme in animé. The only exceptions I can think of is characters like Luffy from OnePiece but he was a child when the story started and women have always done the voice-overs for child characters.

Hayate Ayasaki in butler uniform and crossdressing mode:

http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/hayat...

http://img3.ak.crunchyroll.com/i/spire2/0df197011a...

• Oh Hey

Well, I know that Romi Park(A FEMALE dubber) Also Dubbed Edward Elric AND Hitsugaya from Bleach. She has such an amazing voice! As Nana in 'Nana' She was just such a gangster! There is no reason beside their Awesomeness!

Some have not hit puberty or they can change their voices better I am not sure y I have never had that way of thinking though