in credit card fraud on the internet how stupid is the cc company .........?

Let let's say for instance a theif in nevada use a cc number and info to purchase items on the net from a cc owner who is from texas???? Doesn't the cc company know that the theif is putting down the correct billing info but the shipping info is different ????? That's what I don't get about fraud on the net.

Favorite Answer

Credit card companies do not have access to the information needed to trace IP addresses to an individual computer. That information is available by subpoena only and is typically done when fraud is reported.

That said, we travel a lot and use our credit card all over. And we also use our credit card to purchase items to send to our children who live in different states. If the card companies were to do away with that practice, it would seriously hobble the ability of card users to send items to others, instead, they would have to order items sent to their home address and spend additional money to ship them out to wherever. That's not saying it's a convenience that hasn't been exploited because it has, but hopefully, the entire industry won't punish its legitimate customer base for the actions of the scammers.

I suggest that you go through your recent statements to identify when and where you used your card, by phone, online or by passing over your card. I further suggest that you meet a representative of the credit card company. The credit card company might need to be convinced that you have not been careless or fraudulently claiming that you did not use the cards on the relevant occasions. However, they should be willing to discuss the matter with you. Have you asked the credit card company to cancel your credit card and to issue a new one or to change your credit card number?

Well it's always BETTER when the BILLING and SHIPPING address is the same...

But there are always LEGITIMATE times when they are different... like:

A corporate address buying stuff for a BRANCH...

A Father buying stuff for a child...

Or a birthday Gift... for a friend who is in another town.

Also - It's possible - and it's happened to me... that *someone* opens a credit card in YOUR NAME and changes the billing address - so you don't even KNOW that charges are there....

In that case they would send YOUR BILL and THEIR STUFF to the same address... which is not necessary THE THIEVES... in fact with the HOUSING CRISIS - they send it to an HOUSE where nobody lives and collect "their" stuff after dark.

I guess not. I applied for a Homedepot CC once in NJ, before I left the store, someone had charged $6000 worth of stuff on that card at a homedepot in Chicago

So clearly, they arent on top of things

You've never purchased a gift for someone that doesn't live at your address?