How much did your parents expect you to conform to behavior expected of your gender?

What specific behaviors were emphasized? How did they express these expectations? Was your same-sex parent more or less emphatic about this? Was your same-sex parent your main model of how those of your gender should behave or did you look elsewhere? (Please indicate your own sex if it isn't... show more What specific behaviors were emphasized?
How did they express these expectations?
Was your same-sex parent more or less emphatic about this?
Was your same-sex parent your main model of how those of your gender should behave or did you look elsewhere?

(Please indicate your own sex if it isn't apparent.)

My mother would emphasize to me the importance of acting "more ladylike", while my step father just wanted me to be "less obnoxious", which I think may have meant the same thing. Apart from decorum though, neither emphasized interests, activities, or behaviors they wanted me to adopt. My father actually emphasized being his idea of well-rounded and self-sufficient, which included both boys and girls being able to fight, fish, and farm, cook and clean, do carpentry and plumbing, and mend clothes.

With my brothers, my mother was really emphatic about them being "good gentlemen" (again, emphasizing manners) but again, nothing much beyond that as far as I could see.

(I'm staying at my mom's right now and so I'm thinking about this stuff.)