\ asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 decade ago

i need a new book series to read any suggestions?

series Ive already read: the Percy Jackson series, Cirque Du freak series, keys to the kingdom series, harry potter series, and the lotr series. I'm looking for a long book series. anything sci-fi or supernatural would be awesome but no vampire books.

Favorite Answer

The Wheel of TIme - Robert Jordan [12 published novels, another 2 still in editing] ["The Eye of the World" is the 1st book in the series]

A Crown of Stars - Kate Elliott [7 book series, "King's Dragon" is 1st book]

Farseer trilogy - Robin Hobb ["Assassin's Apprentice" is 1st book - there are two more trilogies that follow from this one i.e. The Liveship Traders and The Tawny Man, if you like Farseer you will like the other two as well, so 9 books in all]

Shannara - Terry Brooks [there are 21 books in all in the Shannara series. They don't all follow one plot and story but rather a whole history with different characters and time periods. The one constant is those of the Shannara blood [or their predecessors]. They are broken down as follows:

- Original Shannara trilogy - "Sword of Shannara" [Shea Ohmsford], "Elfstones of Shannara" [Will Ohmsford, grandson of Shea] and Wishsong of Shannara [Brin & Jair, daughter & son of Will]

- Heritage of Shannara quadrilogy - one story set 300 years after "Wishsong" about four Shannara descendants ["Scions of Shannara" is 1st book]

- Voyage of the Jerle Shannara trilogy [set another 200 years after Heritage] ["Ilse Witch" is 1st book]

- High Druid of Shannara trilogy [follows directly from Voyage] ["Jarka Ruus" is 1st book]

- then in chronoligal order are whole series of prequels i.e. Word/Void trilogy, Genesis of Shannara trilogy, Legends of Shannara duology [new - being written] and First King of Shannara.

The Belgariad - David Eddings [5 book series, followed by another 5 book series The Mallorean] ["Pawn of Prophecy" is 1st book]

And then of course I concur, read "Discworld" series by Terry Pratchett! Absolutely splendid books! Douglas Adams' Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy is also a must-read.

my favorite book series is Private by Kate Brian. There are multiple books like 10 and there is also a spin-off series. It has a little bit of romance in the series but there are so many twists. It really grabs your attention and I can never put down the books! There are murder mysteries and tons of exciting cliffhangers! I also really the Pretty Little Liars series by Sara Shepard. It is book series with 6 or 7 books. They are also really captivating with little twists! There is a murder that needs to be solved but the story takes really interesting turns! These are my 2 favorite books series, but don't think that they are these gruesome murder stories. They definitely aren't, there is still some girl drama and other stuff. The fun little twists just make you want to read more. Hope this helps :)

Anthony Horowitz

Gatekeepers (aka Power of Five)

Matt is arrested for a crime he didn't commit and sent to a foster home. However his new home is far from welcoming and his new guardian downright evil.

http://www.anthonyhorowitz.com/work/books_poweroff...

Garth Nix

Abhorsen Trilogy (aka Old Kingdom)

This is the same author that wrote Keys to the Kingdom, but the plot is a bit darker. Sabriel comes from a line of necromancers but has grown up on the side of the wall ruled by science. When her father disappears, she must return to the land of her birth, a place she doesn't remember where danger lurks almost anywhere.

http://www.garthnix.com/

Derek Landy

Skulduggery Pleasant

A moving skeleton that conjures fire in his hands is one of two main characters of this series. Need I say more?

http://www.skulduggerypleasant.com/us/

John Flanagan

Ranger's Apprentice

Several of the early books could easily have been combined, but the later books start having some depth to them. Dispite this the series in good. Will dreams of becoming a knight but his natural curiousity lands him an apprentice to a hard and mysterious ranger.

http://rangersapprentice.com/

Heather Brewer

Chronicles of Valdimir Tod

Please forgive me for suggesting a vampire series. I do so with this one because it has more to it than the vampire plot. I could say that I am suggesting this because you liked Cirque Du Freak but that would be a lie. Shan's adventures were horrifying Tod's woes are more light hearted even at times comical dispite dire situations. What makes me recommend this series is a good adventure plot grounded by good old teen angst (and I'm not talking the Twilight kind, more like scrawny outsider gets shoved into locker angst) and plenty of wry wit to balance it out.

http://www.heatherbrewer.com/

Inheritance Cycle - 4 books (onley 3 out)

The Heir Trilogy - 3 books

Magyk, Flyte,...etc series - 5 books

Peter and the Starcatcher series - 4 or 5 books } mostly thick books but awesome

Maximum Ride series - 7 books (only 6 out)

The shadow children series (lots)

the Lost series (so far 2 or 3)

The Fairy Rebel books (so far only 2 or 3 out)

The 39 Clues series (lots..more than 10)

The looking glass wars -3 books

The Hunger games -2 boks out so far..but its a trilogy

Maze runner books - 1 out but soo good

Dragon slipper books - trilogy 3 books

Witch and Wizard books -1 out i think

Vampirate series ---its not that type of vampire book, not girly and nothing like twilight any others....just try it (so far 5 or 6 books...but ull love it

theres a gizzillion more i can list if i had the time...but try these out for right now

have fun reading :)

The Hunger Games is a truly amazing series; I liked the City of Bones (Mortal Instrument series), only 3 of the four books are out; I know you said no vamp books, but I really liked the Vampire Academy series, it's WAY better than twilight, I assure you...nothing like it. Hush, hush was pretty good, too. Night World series has vamps in them but isnt really about vamps specifically....and anything by L.J. Smith..that's pretty good. The Red Pyramid is Rick Riordan's new series, it's got nothing (i think?) to do with Percy & The Olympians tho...I haven't read it yet, but I will.

This is a must read, along with Hunger Games & City of Bones & Vampire Academy: Graceling by Kristen Cashore FIRST, then Fire by the same author second!! Have fun!! they're all really good books, I loved them

The Princess of Mars series by Edgar Rice Burroughs, the guy who wrote Tarzan. They're good books and full of action - they'd make really good graphic novels - and there are a ton of them if I remember correctly. If you're looking for something more philosophical, Foundation by Isaac Asimov. Again, tons of books, and he's got some really neat ideas in them. He also wrote a whole bunch of robot books. If you're interested in them start with I, Robot. Nothing like the movie, promise. H.P. Lovecraft also wrote a whole bunch of sci fi/fantasy/horror short stories. If you like that sort of thing, find a book of his at the library. Any book will do. His stories are excellent and I especially recommend At the Mountains of Madness.

If you liked LotR a lot Tolkien wrote more stories. Try the Book of Lost Tales I or the Silmarillion if you're feeling brave. After that - not before, you need the background - read Children of Húrin. It's a tragedy set in the 1st (I think) Age of Middle Earth and it's my favorite story of his.

These are more along the lines of adventure/swashbuckling than sci fi/fantasy, but you may like them anyway. The Princess Bride by William Goldman, The Three Musketeers by Alexander Dumas, Scaramouche by Rafael Sabatini, and The Prisoner of Zenda by Anthony Hope. The last one is shorter but very good.

And I know you said no vampire books but I can't resist. You should read Dracula by Bram Stoker. It's not just any vampire book, it's THE vampire book. The original one. It's not about angsty teen vampires, Drac is the real deal. If you like it, Stoker also wrote Lady of the Shroud.

Happy reading!

You might like "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy" series by Douglas Adams

"Foundation" series by Isaac Asimov might be a tad dated, but you could check it out

"The Hobbit" & "Lord of the RIngs" trilogy by JRR Tolkien is an awesome fantasy series

I'm going to go out on a limb & recommend some stuff you did not ask for - detective series:

Sherlock Holmes stories & novels by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Jim Chee & Joe Leaphorn mysteries by Tony Hillerman - they're Navajo police detectives

Arkady Renko mysteries by Martin Cruz Smith - he's a Russian police detective

Easy Rawlins mysteries by Walter Mosely - he's a Black amateur gumshoe in LA

Always read something that will make you look good if you die in the middle of it

P J O'ROURKE

The Saga of Recluce series by L.E. Modesitt

The Corean Chronicles by L.E. Modesitt

The Farseer and Tawny Man series by Robin Hobb

The Malazan Book of the Fallen series by Steven Erikson (long and dark books, but very good)

The Riddlemaster of Hed trilogy by Patricia McKillip

The Earth-Sea series by Ursula Leguin

The Lon-Tobyn Chronicles by David B Coe

Memory, Sorrow and Thorn series by Tad Williams

Pip and Flinx series by Alan Dean Foster

Raymond E Feist's Riftwar series

I really enjoyed all of these series and I think you would to.

I've read Shannara and WoT. Shannara is pretty good, Wheel of Time is good for the first 6 books or so, same thing for the Wizard's First Rule book by Terry Goodkind.

Hmm... did you like Cirqu du Freak? If you did, another series by Darren Shan is the Demonata series. It's a bit gorier and scarier for some, but it's very good. I loved it. The first book is called Lord Loss.

Edit: It's not about vampires, it's about demons.

The Mortal Instruments Series by Cassandra Clare is amazing! It does have vampires in it, but they are more of a minor detail that are easily ignored.