Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 decade ago

what is the best self defense gun for an elderly woman?

My grandmother told me she wants to take shooting lessons and get a license to carry a gun for protection. she asked me what would be the best kind. I said a .25 acp but i wasnt too sure. Suggestions?

Favorite Answer

It depends on her shooting experience and her comfort level with the gun. Just like anyone else, it takes practice to shoot well, and in self defense situations there are legalities to understand as well.

She may or may not find that a semi-automatic handgun is overly complicated for her to use in a crisis, and may prefer the simplicity of a revolver. On the other hand, there are few things in life as simple and effective as a double barreled shotgun with a defensive load at close range if she can handle one of those comfortably.

the chances of an elderly woman being able to learn to shoot and to shoot someone are not very good. A stun gun might be better. The problem with a gun is that it can be taken away and used on her. Better to invest in good locks and in windows and maybe bars that can be unlocked with proper key from inside or an alarm system. Maybe she should get something like a life alert that she can push a button that hangs around her neck or on a watch-type mechanism and they will make sure she is okay and if not, will call the police or fire department or EMT's. that way she has no gun to have someone in the family take and shoot another and no one can take it away from her. It does cost about $25 a month for monitoring. But it would hellp her in case of heart attack or if she falls and can't get up. Some elderly lay for days and can die because no one checks on them or they think maybe they went to visit a daughter or grandchild. They don't know the person is inside on the floor. Even moving to a better neighborhood might help more than a gun.

However I do understnad her concern. There are some alarms that make a lot of noise when a pin is pulled. She can ask neighbors to call police if they hear that siren. Tell them she has an alarm system and if they hear the alarm that she is in danger. Put up a sign on her door that says that there is an alarm system (might deter even if no alarm exists).

Good luck. Itis a difficult world at times, especially as we age. There was just a child here whose mother had a gun in a bedside table and kid showed a neighbor and put the gun back, he said. Said the boy disappeared and came back with gun and he was taking it back and showing him it wasn't loaded when he shot it and it killed the friend. Gun was loaded. So now mother may be tried for negligence as well as the child possibly being charged with murder or manslaughter.

So someone else could be in the house - a grandchild or great grandchild and find the gun and accidently shoot someone. Or burglar could take it away from her. Bad thing about stun gun is that it must touch the skin and I'd not like someone that close to me. I can't have a gun in house now as husband is sometimes suicidal. that is a problem with aging people and from depression.\

If you were looking at a gun, I'd get something that is not too long. I have a 22 (in parts and not in home anymore) and it is like old west revolver and it is a bit awkward. but might want bullet big enough to stop someone - mnaybe a 45. I have no idea what a .25 acp is. I have a stun gun but there are problems there. A taser would be good but as far as I know, police can get those and I ahven't seen one for sale. They will cover a bit of distance.

• WRG

A .25 acp is just on this side of useless, it has no stopping power at all. A 38 special or .380 acp are the minimum calibers that I would suggest anyone carry. She needs to take the shooting lessons some where that has several guns she can try.

I'd go with the .38 in a revolver if I were coaching her.

Laws do not make any difference between the two sexes. If a woman strikes a man it's still considered to be assault. I'm not sure where you're getting the notion that defending against a knife with a gun is wrong. Being attacked with a knife is considered to be deadly force and can be met with deadly force; the idiot shouldn't have brought a knife to a gunfight. The law allows you to use an appropriate level of physical force against another person to defend yourself and only until the threat is no longer present. An example of this would be a woman slapping a man in the face. Is he justified in punching her back so hard that she loses teeth? No. Actually, my advice to the man would be to leave and seek charges on the woman. Getting into a slapping contest with anyone, male or female, will only result in charges being sought against both parties.

Well it really depends on her of course, the best gun is one that she can easily carry around and that can fit in her hand well. Of course she'll also have to fire it, so you might want to shop around and try out a few before actually buying.

Also personally I would not go with pepper spray if any suggests it. Though it might work some of the time, if there is a strong wind she may wind up spraying herself. Also there are quite a few cases where it simply doesn't work, especially if they're high.

Ruger or Smith & Wesson double action revolver. Preferably .38 caliber, but if that has too much kick, then a .22.

A .22 rifle like the Ruger 10/22 is also good for home defense, and easy to use.

Instead of a gun I would say get pepper spray. You can't really just have ur grandma walking around with a 9mm lol. Pepper spray is effective and can be bought without a license (I think).

Heck no...get a 357, you can shoot 38s out of that. My favorite is the Judge though.

A little .22 revolver, they are smaller than your hand and the bullets have almost no kick or noise. Plus its not too powerful as to kill someone, but definately get someone off your case. My grandma has one.

1

Source(s): Learn Personal Defence http://netint.info/UltimateSelfDefenseGuide/?pCUs