Happy
Happy asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 10 years ago

Rand Paul said he wants to overturn the "Americans with Disabilities Act." Do you agree with him?

• maxmom
    Best Answer

He also wants to overturn medicare, medicaid and social security.

It will be interesting to see what happens when he actually reveals everything he believes.

Absolutely. The restaurant owner should have the right to serve the market he choses. I have the right not to patronize that restaurant. What Rand Paul said was that he would have marched with Martin Luther King against institutional racism. What he also said is that he would not agree with the owners of a business who practiced discrimination. But he sure would not patronize them. Try going to a trendy nightclub and getting in if you don't meet their criteria for dress (or weight). But you don't care about defending fat people, because it doesn't suit your particular agenda. STFU

I know many people are leaving the State of New Jersey because they can't afford the property taxes, which were driven up by having to cater to disabled children, or else be sued by out-of-control trial lawyers.

I do not. If that were to happen, it would be a good example of "tyranny of the majority". Fortunately, though this act does not benefit a majority of the people in anything near a direct way, there is enough compassion in this country (among both the right and the left) that I don't think the majority is interested in this brand of tyranny.

Overturning the entire law is probably a little far fetched.

HOWEVER, I can understand where he is coming from.

Some small businesses get sued because they don't have proper access for disabled people. Now there might only be 1 or 2 disabled people affected, but this could cost the small business a LARGE chunk of change. (Obviously those 1 or 2 people don't spend enough to offset that cost....)

I think providing INCENTIVES to make businesses accessible to handicapped people is probably a good idea. But FORCING businesses to do it (or get sued) doesn't seem like the answer.

EDIT:

Also, Rand Paul IS NOT a "neocon". You can disagree with his positions. But he IS NOT anything close to George W. Bush.

EDIT2:

lol.......Why the hell is the question so popular?? He must be the first politician to STICK TO HIS PRINCIPLES they've heard in while. Maybe you don't like it, but at least he's not pretending to be something he's not. (unlike a certain president we have....)

AHHHH.............ThinkProgress ran an article............those fking hacks.

• lrd00a

He DIDN"T say that, quit getting your news from the Dailykos, or whatever.

This is the REAL quote:

PAUL: You know a lot of things on employment ought to be done locally. You know, people finding out right or wrong locally. You know, some of the things, for example we can come up with common sense solutions — like for example if you have a three story building and you have someone apply for a job, you get them a job on the first floor if they’re in a wheelchair as supposed to making the person who owns the business put an elevator in, you know what I mean? So things like that aren’t fair to the business owner. [...]

So, he's advocating common sense and local government involvement in the law's execution. Duh.

You're "list of sources", doesn't provide an actual quote, DOES IT?

See how the media distorts a quote into something he never said in the first place?

EDIT: Look, I get TD's for providing an actual quote, I guess injecting truth into politics IS unpopular...

Yes I think it should be overturned. But that isnt what Rand Paul said.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=2412...

Of the thousands of laws I wish to see overturned,

that one is not on my priority list...

Yes, it trounces on private property rights as well as creating dubious handicaps, such as drug addiction, which may give you legal "tenure" when otherwise you would be fired for reasonable cause.

(Go ahead and thumbs down, but freedom means doing as you please. When consensus dictates what you may and may not do, you live under the tyranny of the government. When big brother tells you how you must build your own house or who you may or may not hire, freedom DIES)

No, we do not agree with Republican Neocon, Rand Paul.. We American people must overturn Rand Paul.